Need Advise Asap Pretty Please :)

Decorating By TickleMySweetTooth Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm by TickleMySweetTooth

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #1 of 7

Hey all,

So the big day is tomorrow.. LOL
My friends little girls Birthday party icon_smile.gif

I can't remember, I have not decorated a cake in YEARS!
But can I frost/decorate tonight and refrigerate?
I really wanted to get up tomorrow am and do it..
BUT my husband took a double shift.. which means I have no help with our 1 year old in the am.. So I'm not sure if I can swing it all..

I'm using a 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter Buttercream if that helps any icon_smile.gif
Thanks!!

6 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 7

I have done it before in a pinch... I don't usually like to refrigerate cakes, but mine turned out okay icon_biggrin.gif
Hope this helps.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:10am
post #3 of 7

With the buttercream recipe you list, it doesn't need refrigerated unless you have a perishable filling.
Yes, go ahead and do it all tonight, IMO.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 7

I feel your pain! Had to do cakes the night before many a time. I use buttercream that is 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter, too. You can do it either way, depending on your filling. It will be just fine if you leave it at room temperature, and will be fine if you put it in the fridge! Bonne chance!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:12am
post #5 of 7

You're braver than me icon_lol.gif I wouldn't wait until the night before it's due to decorate. I'd have at least had it ready by this evening for tomorrow. I usually have my cakes decorated at least 10 hours before they're due in case I run into any trouble.

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:24am
post #6 of 7

I see this question a lot and it confuses me. I ALWAYS refrigerate my cakes- always always always. I even keep my fridge turned down to the very lowest setting! My biggest expense in my new cake business (which starts monday!!! Yikes!) was my double door stainless steel refrigerator.

I am in AZ, so maybe where you are is different. I don't have to deal with humidity often here- obviously =0), so I am not sure if that is the main factor in keeping people from refrigerating their cakes.

Good luck though!!! I too have a little one- he is 19 months and a monster when I am trying to decorate!

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much! I did get it finished last night.. so that HELPED A LOT this am!
Turned out cute! I hope the Birthday girl likes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%