Those Who Can't Have A Home Business

Lounge By bostonterrierlady Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm by Collector49

bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 12

In the old days many women earned extra money making and decorating cakes from home for extra money. Now you must have liscensed kitchens in most places. So for those of us who would be unable to do this what are some ideas for those of us who would like to do some part time thing from our homes? Any ideas?

11 replies
Ivy383 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #2 of 12

Can you get a license to bake from home? That is waht many people do and it works out great for them. icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 12

I was wondering the same thing. Like when you could even have a garage sale without a permit. Some places you can't even have a kool-aid stand for the kids. I hope someone comes along with an idea.

Nacnacweazel Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:42am
post #4 of 12

My area won't even allow you to rent space from a bakery. And they wonder why California's economy has gone to hell. Right now, I am completely limited to friends and family. It sucks. icon_cry.gif

bostonterrierlady Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 12

I think here in Idaho you have to have a seperate kitchen. I love crafts. Just wish I could come up with an idea.

prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

Can you get a license to bake from home? That is waht many people do and it works out great for them. icon_smile.gif

Ivy, many states/counties/cities won't license home bakeries.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:44am
post #7 of 12

Babysitting is an option...most places don't require you to be licensed for childcare if you're just babysitting a few hours a week. I've done it in the past, but there's not a lot of joy in it, like baking a cake.

chilz822 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:02am
post #8 of 12

www.westathome.com
There are a few people at work that do this on the side. You basically are an order-taker for things like infomercials, catalog stores, etc.
It is 100% scripted, read, and type what the customer tells you. You set your own hours, you sign up online with the schedule you want to work, your hours are your own. You have to do online training (and yes, you get paid for that too). When you sign up and choose the times you want to work (any increments, any time you like... take days off, work everyday, it's YOUR schedule)... when your start-time hits, the order line is forwarded to your home phone. Sit in front of the computer and wait for a call... read and type.
Easy Peasy!
I do not work for them but I know several people that do, and yes, it is legit!
icon_smile.gif

leily Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 12

I hope some more people post to this. I was recently temporarily laid off and am staying home with our child until work picks up again. But I would love to find something that I could do from home, set my hours (whether it be full time or part time) and still be able to care for our child a majority of the time. Getting grandparents for a day or two a week isn't that hard icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 12

How crafty are you? There are quite a few craft items you can do from home and sell on ebay or etsy.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 12

Just to throw out the basics.... If you can get out of the house at all (or maybe host at your home)... Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple, Lia Sophia, Avon, Mary Kay... just to name a few. Oh! One more idea is real estate. My sister is a SAHM and does it part time around my nieces schedules. icon_wink.gif

Please be sure to carefully research any company in which you are considering doing business. There are indeed many out there who take money from you up front, promise you a significant return, and before you know it, you're out money and often no way to recoup if it was a scam.

Thank you for posting this interesting topic. During these economic times, I'm sure most of us could use some extra income or work experience. thumbs_up.gif

Collector49 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 12

When people who asked me to do cakes for them asked for the price I would say "I would hope for a donation of _____." I didn't have a business and had no set amounts. One of the teachers I worked with asked me what I would do if the person only gave me $2.00. I said I would take the money. Say thank you and never do another cake for that person. By not having a set price list I by passed some of the rules. If you can't have a license don't advertise except by word of mouth. I no longer do cakes -- too much pressure and having moved after retirement I no longer have my word of mouth base of people who want me to do cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%