Help

Decorating By bunky48 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 6:34am by dtdonnahoo

bunky48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 19

I am having trouble with my cakes today. Im making the duncan hines classic white I have never had trouble before. I doubled the batter. they come out looking good. I cool them for about 20 minutes in the pan and then go to flip them and they are sticking and falling apart. What do I do?? I have another one in the oven now. Could it be because it is a new pan. it is th 12 inch square wilton.

Wanita

18 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 19

I only cool in pan for 10 minutes. When I flip to cool I use a cake board to support the cake and another to flip it onto. Does that make any sense? I'm not very good at describing things sometimes icon_razz.gif You need to support the cake or it will fall apart on you.

Did you use a straight box mix or did you doctor it up? Add extra egg and a pudding mix or maybe the cake extender receipe from this site? I NEVER use a straight box mix. Just not sturdy enough for my cakes.

Also I don't think it's your pans causing them to stick. Do you use bakers joy or homeade pan release? I never bake a cake without properly coating my pans. They will stick everytime if not.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 19

I also line the bottom of my pan with wax paper. Some line the entire pan but I line only the bottom. That way if it certainly will never stick to the bottom of the pan.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 19

I use pan grease, line the bottom and then run a cake spatula (a skinny one) around the outside edge.

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 19

they are straight box mixes. when I flip them out of the pan I flip them onto a rack I never had any problem maybe I am letting them cool in the pan to long??

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 19

I use shortening and flour to grease my pans.

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 19

How long should I let it cool in the pan?

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 19

I spray my pans with Wilton Bake Easy non stick spray. I let my cakes cool for 10 min. then remove the pan. You may be letting your cakes cool too long in the pan.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 19

I grease the whole pan, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper and dust with a little flour. I run a metal spatula around the rim as soon as they come out of the oven, let cool about 10 minutes . I put a piece of wax paper on a cake board put that on top of the cake in the pan and flip it over. Let it cool then wrap in plastic wrap and put in the freezer overnight.

I use scartch recipes and Kakeladi's original WASC recipe . They are much sturdier than just a box mix. If you are going to use the box mix I recomend trying the WASC or adding an extra egg and a pudding mix like Mamawrobin suggested.

HTH

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 19

10 minutes. I use homeade pan release. Equal parts veg. oil, shortening and flour. Mix with hand mixer until smooth. Brush onto inside of pan with a pastry brush.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 19

The only time mine stick is if I let them cool too long. They should still be warm when you flip them. At least that's what works for me.

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #12 of 19

Thank you all. I just took it out of the oven. I heard about the freezing but I cannot do it overnight. IT FELL apart agin it just sticks to the pan not the sides the bottom. and when I got to take the pan off I can feel it. I need this cake tomorrow. I am going to get more cake mixes. URGHHHH!!!!!!

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 19

I always use spray the pan then use parchment - it never sticks. Also let it cool for 10 minutes on top of a rack.. HTH

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you all. I just took it out of the oven. I heard about the freezing but I cannot do it overnight. IT FELL apart agin it just sticks to the pan not the sides the bottom. and when I got to take the pan off I can feel it. I need this cake tomorrow. I am going to get more cake mixes. URGHHHH!!!!!!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #15 of 19

If you are baking more use a circle of parchment or wax paper in the bottom of the pan. It is a great insurance policy! icon_smile.gif

The bottom will never stick to the pan if there is baking paper between the cake & pan.

bunky48 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #16 of 19

I measured the pan and covered the bottom with parchment paper will that work??

mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:27am
post #17 of 19

It should. I place my pan on top of a piece of waxed paper and use an exacto knife to cut the circle/square the same size as my pans. I NEVER bake a cake that I don't line the bottom of my pan. And be sure to grease your pans using flour/oil/shortening. Using just shortening will also cause the cake to stick.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:46am
post #18 of 19

I'm not a cake baker extraordinairre.....but, I grease the pan & then cover with wax paper. I'm not sure if I've just been super lucky. But, I use either the non-stick spray then line with wax paper. Or, lately, I've been using this shortening I bought and didn't like. I just take a paper towel, dip into the tub, and lube it up!!! Bottom and sides. Just a film, there aren't any visible hunks of shortening left on the pan. THEN, I just cut the wax paper to fit. I also cool, 10 minutes. Then place a wire rack on top of pan & flip. Remove pan. Peel wax paper. Let cool.

Hope everything worked out okay!

dtdonnahoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtdonnahoo Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:34am
post #19 of 19

I have this problem every time I use a regular cake mix. I have to doctor mine up with the cake mix extender. I use equal parts flour, shortening and oil then brush all over the inside of the cake. For cakes larger than 8" I also use parchment on the inside bottom.

My cakes cool until the pans are cool enough to touch then flip out onto a board and flip upright onto another board. If you let the cakes cool completely they will stick like glue to the inside of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%