Help

Decorating By bunky48 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 6:34am by dtdonnahoo

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 19

I am having trouble with my cakes today. Im making the duncan hines classic white I have never had trouble before. I doubled the batter. they come out looking good. I cool them for about 20 minutes in the pan and then go to flip them and they are sticking and falling apart. What do I do?? I have another one in the oven now. Could it be because it is a new pan. it is th 12 inch square wilton.

Wanita

18 replies
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 19

I only cool in pan for 10 minutes. When I flip to cool I use a cake board to support the cake and another to flip it onto. Does that make any sense? I'm not very good at describing things sometimes icon_razz.gif You need to support the cake or it will fall apart on you.

Did you use a straight box mix or did you doctor it up? Add extra egg and a pudding mix or maybe the cake extender receipe from this site? I NEVER use a straight box mix. Just not sturdy enough for my cakes.

Also I don't think it's your pans causing them to stick. Do you use bakers joy or homeade pan release? I never bake a cake without properly coating my pans. They will stick everytime if not.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 19

I also line the bottom of my pan with wax paper. Some line the entire pan but I line only the bottom. That way if it certainly will never stick to the bottom of the pan.

leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 19

I use pan grease, line the bottom and then run a cake spatula (a skinny one) around the outside edge.

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 19

they are straight box mixes. when I flip them out of the pan I flip them onto a rack I never had any problem maybe I am letting them cool in the pan to long??

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 19

I use shortening and flour to grease my pans.

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 19

How long should I let it cool in the pan?

sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 19

I spray my pans with Wilton Bake Easy non stick spray. I let my cakes cool for 10 min. then remove the pan. You may be letting your cakes cool too long in the pan.

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 19

I grease the whole pan, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper and dust with a little flour. I run a metal spatula around the rim as soon as they come out of the oven, let cool about 10 minutes . I put a piece of wax paper on a cake board put that on top of the cake in the pan and flip it over. Let it cool then wrap in plastic wrap and put in the freezer overnight.

I use scartch recipes and Kakeladi's original WASC recipe . They are much sturdier than just a box mix. If you are going to use the box mix I recomend trying the WASC or adding an extra egg and a pudding mix like Mamawrobin suggested.

HTH

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 19

10 minutes. I use homeade pan release. Equal parts veg. oil, shortening and flour. Mix with hand mixer until smooth. Brush onto inside of pan with a pastry brush.

paulstonia Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 19

The only time mine stick is if I let them cool too long. They should still be warm when you flip them. At least that's what works for me.

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #12 of 19

Thank you all. I just took it out of the oven. I heard about the freezing but I cannot do it overnight. IT FELL apart agin it just sticks to the pan not the sides the bottom. and when I got to take the pan off I can feel it. I need this cake tomorrow. I am going to get more cake mixes. URGHHHH!!!!!!

Sherry1030 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 19

I always use spray the pan then use parchment - it never sticks. Also let it cool for 10 minutes on top of a rack.. HTH

bunky48 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you all. I just took it out of the oven. I heard about the freezing but I cannot do it overnight. IT FELL apart agin it just sticks to the pan not the sides the bottom. and when I got to take the pan off I can feel it. I need this cake tomorrow. I am going to get more cake mixes. URGHHHH!!!!!!

JaimeAnn Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #15 of 19

If you are baking more use a circle of parchment or wax paper in the bottom of the pan. It is a great insurance policy! icon_smile.gif

The bottom will never stick to the pan if there is baking paper between the cake & pan.

bunky48 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:33am
post #16 of 19

I measured the pan and covered the bottom with parchment paper will that work??

mamawrobin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:27am
post #17 of 19

It should. I place my pan on top of a piece of waxed paper and use an exacto knife to cut the circle/square the same size as my pans. I NEVER bake a cake that I don't line the bottom of my pan. And be sure to grease your pans using flour/oil/shortening. Using just shortening will also cause the cake to stick.

EvMarie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:46am
post #18 of 19

I'm not a cake baker extraordinairre.....but, I grease the pan & then cover with wax paper. I'm not sure if I've just been super lucky. But, I use either the non-stick spray then line with wax paper. Or, lately, I've been using this shortening I bought and didn't like. I just take a paper towel, dip into the tub, and lube it up!!! Bottom and sides. Just a film, there aren't any visible hunks of shortening left on the pan. THEN, I just cut the wax paper to fit. I also cool, 10 minutes. Then place a wire rack on top of pan & flip. Remove pan. Peel wax paper. Let cool.

Hope everything worked out okay!

dtdonnahoo Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:34am
post #19 of 19

I have this problem every time I use a regular cake mix. I have to doctor mine up with the cake mix extender. I use equal parts flour, shortening and oil then brush all over the inside of the cake. For cakes larger than 8" I also use parchment on the inside bottom.

My cakes cool until the pans are cool enough to touch then flip out onto a board and flip upright onto another board. If you let the cakes cool completely they will stick like glue to the inside of the pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%