Need Suggestions On How To Make A Beer Can.

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm by trumpetmidget

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 4

I need suggestions on how to make a beer can. Customer wants the beer can to be the size of a real can and made of cake. This will be placed on a sheet cake.
TIA

3 replies
trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 4

I made a soda can for my daughter's 3rd birthday, but it was a full size cake. But, if I were to cut it down, here's what I would do: Bake a sheet cake to whatever size would work for this. Use a circle cookie cutter (a glass will do if you don't have a cutter) and cut out however many circles it would take to stack the size of a can. Stack the circles (ice in between) and ice the whole thing. I used fondant and what I would do for a cake that small is cut a rectangular shape of fondant and just roll the cake in it. Smooth out the seem and put a top on to look like a rim, etc.
This is what I would do. Someone else might have better ideas. HTH.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 4

I did cut small circles of cake and stacked them. The problem was the small cakes wanted to topple over. I put a dowel rod down the middle but I'm concerned the can is not made strong enough to hold up during transportation.

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 4

If you are afraid it will topple, it sounds like you may have not made a dense enough cake. If it is very light and springy, it makes it harder to sculpt and make it cooperate. But, if you have icing covering it and a dowel through it, it should be fine if it is only the size of an actual can. The best suggest I have is to cut more circles and squish the cake so it is a little denser. But, I don't know how well it will work. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%