Need Suggestions On How To Make A Beer Can.

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm by trumpetmidget

sandy1 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 4

I need suggestions on how to make a beer can. Customer wants the beer can to be the size of a real can and made of cake. This will be placed on a sheet cake.
TIA

3 replies
trumpetmidget Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 4

I made a soda can for my daughter's 3rd birthday, but it was a full size cake. But, if I were to cut it down, here's what I would do: Bake a sheet cake to whatever size would work for this. Use a circle cookie cutter (a glass will do if you don't have a cutter) and cut out however many circles it would take to stack the size of a can. Stack the circles (ice in between) and ice the whole thing. I used fondant and what I would do for a cake that small is cut a rectangular shape of fondant and just roll the cake in it. Smooth out the seem and put a top on to look like a rim, etc.
This is what I would do. Someone else might have better ideas. HTH.

sandy1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 4

I did cut small circles of cake and stacked them. The problem was the small cakes wanted to topple over. I put a dowel rod down the middle but I'm concerned the can is not made strong enough to hold up during transportation.

trumpetmidget Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 4

If you are afraid it will topple, it sounds like you may have not made a dense enough cake. If it is very light and springy, it makes it harder to sculpt and make it cooperate. But, if you have icing covering it and a dowel through it, it should be fine if it is only the size of an actual can. The best suggest I have is to cut more circles and squish the cake so it is a little denser. But, I don't know how well it will work. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%