How Do You Remove Excess Icing Sugar From Tappits Lettering?

Decorating By tsal Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 1:00am by leah_s

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I'm working on a cake and am using a newer easier tappits method that uses powdered sugar. The tappits letters are now dry (they are gumpaste), but dmeven though I tried to brush off the excess sugar, it's still on them. The gumpaste is black so it really stands out.

Recs?

5 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 6

steam them... or brush with shortening... or mist with vodka...

hth

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 6

I would try to lightly rub some Crisco on the letters using a brush. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

I just roll out the fondant until it quite thin (setting 6 on the pasta machine if I remember correctly) let it dry a bit and the Tappits work fine. No powdered sugar at all.

The suggestions you've received will work since it's already on there.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I just roll out the fondant until it quite thin (setting 6 on the pasta machine if I remember correctly) let it dry a bit and the Tappits work fine. No powdered sugar at all.

The suggestions you've received will work since it's already on there.

Leah, can I ask what you are rolling the fondant on to? What is under it and how does it not stick if you are not using any powdered sugar?

Thanks

(Just got my Funky Tappits in the mail 2 days ago...looking to try them tomorrow!)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:00am
post #6 of 6

I roll it thru the pasta roller. It's a little machine. However, if I roll in on the counter, I rub a thin film of veg shortening onto the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%