Mickey Mouse Christening Cake

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm by Irish_Sue

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 7

I got a call this morning and someone asked if I could do a mickey mouse themed christening cake and she wants me to e-mail her ideas of designs. Can anyone send me pics of cakes that are mickey mouse and suitable for a christening? Its for 100 people.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 7

Is this for a customer, as in they're paying you? You know you can't make a Disney character and sell it right?

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 7

I don't think that they have that law in the UK. It is a paying customer. I have seen some pics that don't involve the actual face of the character (you just see the bow on top of the cake and ears etc... with pink spots on the cake. Is that also illegal in the US? I am not sure if they have that law in the UK. Can any UK bakers correct me on this?

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7

I'm in the UK and I hate to say this but tt doesn't matter where you are, it is illegal. It is to do with Disney owning the rights to any of their characters - to be honest you could be in outer mongolia and it would still be illegal unfortunately.
What you can do is make a cake with the Mickey Mouse colour scheme and let the customer buy a cake topper which they can then put on the cake themselves.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, I was thinking of going with the theme of mickey mouse, not to actually do the charater. I have seen a cake with minnie's bow with spots on and black ears on either side. Could I do this?

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 7

I'm not a lawyer so what follows is purely my own interpretation from reading around the subject to try and inform myself so if I am wrong and someone else can correct me - please jump in!!
My understanding is that if the cake is recognisable as being a Disney character/item then it is breaking copyright law and therefore even doing something as simple as the ears or gloves on a black/red cake could be deemed illegal.
I think that there is a lot ignorance this side of the water as regards copyright issues and many people make and sell cakes with Disney characters/images without being aware that they are breaching copyright. They may never hear anything of it, I would imagine the higher profile their business, the more at risk they are of hearing from Disney lawyers.
The thing is, it isn't just Disney, lots of cartoons, logos etc are copyrighted and therefore not allowed to be reproduced on a cake without premission but a huge number of people here are simply not aware of it and regularly sell cakes with logos from football clubs, favourite cartoons etc without realising they shouldn't be doing it.

Personally I think the safest option is not to do Disney cakes at all unless you are prepared to make it as a gift.

Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%