Finally Happened To Me, Too!

Decorating By still_learning Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 12:18am by happigolucki35

still_learning Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 84

I've seen other posts where people's designs were copied and they didn't get a thank you or a mention and now I know exactly how they feel icon_sad.gif I just found a cake posted that is pretty unmistakably like one in my photos and the new poster didn't even mention my original design. It's definitely flattery to see someone do your design but it would be way better to get a - 'Hey, thanks for the idea'. Sorry to vent...

83 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 84

happened to me last week too... just gotta learn to roll with the punches icon_smile.gif

still_learning Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 84

Thanks, foxymomma (love the name!). You're totally right. I was just so surprised and I think I posted when still a little in shock icon_redface.gif Still, though, when I saw someone comment on the cake about the 'how clever' the details were it sort of rubs me a bit. Live and learn icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 84

its okay icon_biggrin.gif At least someone liked it so much they wanted to copy it...

Iggy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 84

I'm sorry but I would be mad too and you should not apologize for feeling mad and hurt. Common courtesy is to mention the original artist for her/his inspiration in creating your own cake. If possible also PM that artist before you post your pic just letting them know you made their cake. You obviously liked it or you wouldn't have made it. But that doesn't give you license to pass it off as your own design. I'm sorry this happened to both of you.

tenleysmommy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 84

I have a sorta friend that I helped make her friends baby shower cake.She is just learning so I did everything but make and ice the cake(allgumpaste decor)and she took credit for it all.We are facebook friends and when I saw that she was getting orders for cakes(illegal in my state btw)it peeved me off sooooo bad.I called her out on it and said good luck with those orders!Sorry had to vent......I think borrowing peoples ideas is fine,but gotta give credit!!!

tmac670 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 84

I would have to leave a comment on the post-- So glad you like my design- and attach the picture of the copied cake in your post.......... but that is just me--and I am evil!

still_learning Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 84

Thanks everyone! Tenleysmommy - That really sucks what your sorta friend did! What did she say when you called her on it?!?

tmac - I have to admit I was thinking about commenting on the cake to see what she'd say. I wasn't sure what was proper protocol on CC. I wanted to post a pic of that cake and mine but I wasn't sure if that was pushing it and I should just let it go.

Either way - seeing your responses is making me feel vindicated. You guys and CC are awesome! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

dailey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 84

honestly, it happens everyday. i wouldn't fret about it.

tenleysmommy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 84

[quote="still_learning"]Thanks everyone! Tenleysmommy - That really sucks what your sorta friend did! What did she say when you called her on it?!?

Well we have had many problems in the past,so I kinda let it all out.I told her that it is going to be really hard to fill those cake orders,when she barely knew how to ice a cake.But apperently that didnt faze her because she asked me to help her with a wedding cake icon_confused.gif Some people icon_biggrin.gif

Ivy383 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 84

I recently made a cake for my nieces 3rd birthday. It was inspired by cake that I saw here in the photo gallery. When I uploaded the picture I gave credit to member and all others. icon_smile.gif It's nice to give credit to the person that inspired you.

Iggy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

In my humble opinion, it shouldn't happen! If you are a professional baker and you post a cake pic of your own design and another PB copies it, there's a chance that someone will see their interpretation of your cake and contact them to order that cake, not yours which I'm sure is 10 times better! icon_biggrin.gif Does that make sense? There are so many people that belong to this site that it's inconceivable that it's not going to happen but that doesn't make it right. If it's not yours, DON'T post it without permission or acknowledging the artist. IMHO

Briarview Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 84

still_learning I can understand your frustration but I would be flattered. It was your design but it was there for everyone to see and copy. If every cake we posted we posted "thanks for the idea" would you believe they were sincere or just added that not to upset anyone. Your cake was your original idea but her cake is hers and probably would not be exactly like yours. I am a person who does not actually design a cake from scratch, I usually have the client give their ideas and take it from there and have seen many cakes on here that they have requested. Be proud that someone loved your design and how many others have copied without your knowledge. Keep up the good work and produce more exciting designs.

mykidsarekillingme Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 84

I have felt the same way. I had done my monkey cake over 2 years ago. Somebody recently posted a similar monkey with no thanks or mention at all. This poster has now become everyone's fav designer du jour. Kudos to her but thanks always goes a long way!

luddroth Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 84

I have wondered why people bother to post cakes that are direct copies of the original ideas of others. There are some cakes we see again and again. The barrel cake with kit-kats around the sides and M&M's in the middle comes to mind. I brazenly copied that cake (after sending a pm to the original poster asking for advice, which she gave very generously, by the way) for a friend's daughter. The cake was a big hit, but it never occurred to me to post it on CC. What would I be showing? That I can do a good job copying? But people post that cake all the time, and new members comment on what a clever idea it is. It was VERY clever the first time! The next 50 times, not so much.

dailey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

In my humble opinion, it shouldn't happen! If you are a professional baker and you post a cake pic of your own design and another PB copies it, there's a chance that someone will see their interpretation of your cake and contact them to order that cake, not yours which I'm sure is 10 times better! icon_biggrin.gif Does that make sense? There are so many people that belong to this site that it's inconceivable that it's not going to happen but that doesn't make it right. If it's not yours, DON'T post it without permission or acknowledging the artist. IMHO

really?? now decorators have to ask permission to post a picture of their *own* cakes because it is based on something they saw elsewhere?? that is beyond silly...

Bluebelles Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:27pm
post #17 of 84

If you look in my pics, you will see a bunny digging in the dirt picture, I of course, got the idea from CC. How do I know who the original poster is to thank, since there are many photo's made the same way. So, for this reason, I was unable to mention where I got the actual idea. Maybe this is why she did not mention your name, or thank you. Just a thought. icon_smile.gif

dailey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 84

so which cake are we talking about anyways? saves me the trouble of going through the gallery, lol!

still_learning Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #19 of 84

Tenleysmommy - WOW - some people. You would think she'd get it but I'm guessing she never will!!! I guess youll always have to be busy when she comes looking for help.

I know that cakes can be similar but this is pretty darn similar. I'm going to try and post pics - let's see if it works. Not having good luck posting two different pics. The design is a somewhat unique take on a baseball themed cake. The bottom tier is inspired by a baseball glove with baseball themed pics and the panels laced together. Even some of the pics are the same (look at the tape wrapped on the baseball bats, the jersey). I definitely use other peoples cakes as inspiration all the time, Im no artist, but if I copied something so closely I would (and have) thank(ed) them.

Ive had people asking for advice on this cake lately, as I guess baseball is in the air, and Ive gladly given a novel worth of instructions to all those polite people and ask them to send a pic when their cake is complete because Id love to see how they turn out. This is different. Thanks for all your supportive words, everyone, I know its not a huge deal but its nice to get feedback from people that understand
icon_biggrin.gif

still_learning Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #20 of 84

That just isn't working. Here are URLs

My Original

Copy

Any advice on posting pics? It's a small jpeg so I'm not sure what's going on.

Edit: To remove URLs

Bonnell Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:57pm
post #21 of 84

Wow! There is no mistaking that the second cake is a near copy of yours but I liked yours better if that helps.

I also get most of my cake ideas from the pictures here on CC (sorry, my DNA is missing the creative gene) but I always try to credit the person whose cake inspired me; but, who knows if that is the person that "originated" the idea. It just happens to be the picture that I saw and liked. As the previous poster said some of the cake pictures on here are copies of copies of copies, etc.

Bottom line - if you're going to use someone's design at least give them credit. That does not detract from your skill in the actual execution of the cake.

luddroth Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #22 of 84

Well, your cake is very creative, original, and beautifully done.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #23 of 84

I honestly think they are both great. I sometimes copy a cake from here but I always give my thanks to the original designer when I upload the picture.

SPCC Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm
post #24 of 84

IMHO she did take insparation from you but she made it hers. there are things that are different!

debster Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #25 of 84

I'm sitting here wishing mine would get taken, nobody loves mine enough. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..................... I agree that they should say where they got it from , but on the other hand be thankful your work is desired!!!!

Butterpatty Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #26 of 84

I am uncomfortable with her being called out like this (her pic posted and there is her screen name, etc). Did you pm her to tell her your concerns? Yes, the cake definitely looks to have been based on yours and she should have noted that it was inspired by yours, but that didn't happen and this needs to be handled one-on-one IMO. I am not trying to be harsh or grouchy!

Danfish316 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #27 of 84

I see no wrong in posting a cake that you make after you've gotten inspiration from another cake on here. Those 2 cakes are clearly different.. I like one more than the other, so it's not a replicate. Why would you post a picture of a cake if you're not trying to give someone inspiration or help in how to do it themselves??? Put your girl panties on and be happy someone liked your cake enough to want to make one that was similar in design!

Ivy383 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterpatty

I am uncomfortable with her being called out like this (her pic posted and there is her screen name, etc). Did you pm her to tell her your concerns? Yes, the cake definitely looks to have been based on yours and she should have noted that it was inspired by yours, but that didn't happen and this needs to be handled one-on-one IMO. I am not trying to be harsh or grouchy!

I agree... icon_smile.gif

Tracy7953 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #29 of 84

I agree about giving credit when credit is due but I had a client give me a photo of a cake she had to have. After I uploaded it to CC, I found it already on here. OOOPS! I still don't know who to give thanks to.

still_learning Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:48pm
post #30 of 84

Butterpatty - I see your point. I tried to post the pic without using the URL but couldn't get it to work. I was using a small jpeg file but it didn't attach - anyone have any suggestions on that. I didn't send a PM because I don't think it's that big of a deal - I just wanted to vent a little (and originally didn't even post pics). If it were me I would have given mention and glad to see that others feel the same way. I think it's the polite thing to do. Not trying to start anything. I will delete the URLs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%