Agbay Lever.. Is T As Easy As Shown Here??

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 7:15am by redpanda

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 40

Here a the link for agbay, I saw a post about it the other day, and I was wondering if it's really that easy to level the cakes? I am using Wilton right now, and I don't get the result I want.. icon_sad.gif ...

TFL
Anna

Link to agbay

http://www.agbayproducts.com/

39 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 40

Yes, yes, triple yes!!! I can't possibly say enough good and wonderful things about the Agbay!!! I am only a hobby a baker, and didn't know if it would be worth the investment, since it is a pretty hefty price for someone who doesn't make any profit from any of this ... but OH MY GOODNESS, it has been fantastic. It takes me five minutes (no kidding, FIVE MINUTES) to torte and level six layers of cake, and since that has always been one of the most painful parts of pre-decorating for me, it's amazing how I even look forward to it now. PErfect every time.

HTH!

-Emi.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 40

YES!! The Agbay may be the perfect cake tool. It's easy to use, does it's job perfectly every time and is exactly as advertised. And the people who invented it are just lovely. If you order say "hi" to Maureen from me. No I don't really know her other than being an enthusiastic customer.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 40

I heart my Agbay!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 40

Its amazing, its the only product that i have never seen get a bad review.

BTW: Love mine too.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 40

I'm going to second, third and fourth everything here. The Agbay is the BEST thing ever! Worth every single penny!!! I got mine for Christmas and I've never been so excited. Had to bake a cake right away just to try it.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:51am
post #7 of 40

Here's me cutting a mudcake. It works beautifully!!!

leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #8 of 40

It will slice right thru nuts and chocolate chips too.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:01am
post #9 of 40

The most wonderful tool I have!!!! I just got mine about a month ago and I seriously don't know how I ever lived without it!!!!!!! Perfect level cakes, 100% of the time!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

boonenati Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisaz2004

The most wonderful tool I have!!!! I just got mine about a month ago and I seriously don't know how I ever lived without it!!!!!!! Perfect level cakes, 100% of the time!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Good point
Here's the inside of a couple of my cakes which were done with the Agbay

Image[/quote]

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:24am
post #11 of 40

Do you suggest getting the double blade?I am getting one for Mothers Day and might as well make it worth it!

boonenati Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenleysmommy

Do you suggest getting the double blade?I am getting one for Mothers Day and might as well make it worth it!

double blade all the way. So much quicker

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenleysmommy

double blade all the way. So much quicker

Thanks, I cant wait!!Hubby has an expensive hobby(watch collector) so it makes getting these things a little easier icon_lol.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 40

Yes, double blade for sure! You won't BELIEVE how easy and perfect your cakes will be to torte and level ... so perfect!

LuvLyrics Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 40

OMG... Thanks for the opinion and to boonenati for the pics !! i love how even the leyers look, a dream come true for an OCD like me when it comes to leyering and evening things LOL

Time to save for one !!!
Anna

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #16 of 40

mine is on its way to the uk as I type, very excited!
How do you stop the cake sliding around as you cut, though? It looks like you need both hands to operate it? Sometimes I do little six inch cakes for people, how would I keep that still as I slice? is there a technique?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 40

OMG, the next thing I WANT is an Agbay!! and yes I'm also a hobby baker that make no $$ making cakes whatsoever. Plusssss I already have a collection of 'cake toys.' icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

edited to correct spelling icon_redface.gif

leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #18 of 40

I actually grab the Agbay in the top middle part of the handle and put my other hand on top of the cake to keep it in place.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:32pm
post #19 of 40

I have been wanting the agbay for a long time...it looks wonderful...and forgive me if this sounds ignorant but the idea doesn't seem that complex. I showed it to my husband and told him I wanted one and he said "baby I can make that no problem..." Is there something i'm missing?

LuvLyrics Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #20 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

I have been wanting the agbay for a long time...it looks wonderful...and forgive me if this sounds ignorant but the idea doesn't seem that complex. I showed it to my husband and told him I wanted one and he said "baby I can make that no problem..." Is there something i'm missing?

Well if he can really make it as good.. then you are in business !!!

LuvLyrics Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo76

mine is on its way to the uk as I type, very excited!
How do you stop the cake sliding around as you cut, though? It looks like you need both hands to operate it? Sometimes I do little six inch cakes for people, how would I keep that still as I slice? is there a technique?

I use a non slip thin mat, like the one you put in drawers to keep it from slidding...hth

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #22 of 40

I just ordered mine last week. Maureen is wonderful-she asked where I heard about it & of course, she was familiar with Cake Central icon_smile.gif She said they were really busy this week-she can always tell when there is a new Agbay thread going! I ordered it on Thurs & I got it on Sat icon_smile.gif It is only a little wider than the piece of junk large Wilton leveler (I did the happy dance all the way to the garbage can with it!!)
A couple of tips she gave... when making a white cake, she levels it, flips it over and then takes off 1/8" to remove the brown "crust" on the bottom.

Also..After she tortes/fills the cake, she will adjust the blade and run the WHOLE cake under the Agbay so she has a level surface to ice. The layers of filling can throw the final layer off a bit at times.
I would really recommend the blade cleaning tool-it SAFELY removes that gooey cake residue on the blade.
You can now buy the single blade and then upgrade later with the second blade-totally brilliant icon_smile.gif I love people who are nice and sell GREAT Products!!!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #23 of 40

I do it like Leah, hold the agbay with one hand and the top of the cake with my other hand. I have only the single blade. Has anyone upgraded their single to the double?

Rachie, one thing I like about the agbay is the measurements on either side. It's super precise for making sure the blade is level.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #24 of 40

I love this tool! But be very carefull! Super sharp blades, I cut myself pretty good with it. But, I do agree it is one the best tools out there for caking.

jojo76 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:39am
post #25 of 40

ahh thats great. thanks for the tips ladies. I wish mine would hurry up, think its stuck in customs...bet their wives are all trying it out lol!
I did wonder about the non slip mat stuff, so if the one handed technique doesn't work for me, than I'll get some!

jojo76 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:40am
post #26 of 40

Oh actually all the flights into the uk are grounded at the moment, so maybe thats it.......booohooo!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:08am
post #27 of 40

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Agbay. Probably my most favourite piece of equipment I have.

I've had mine for about 5 years and the blade is still as sharp as ever. I don't think the double bladed one was out when I got mine, but it's so quick and easy to use, that I don't miss not having the second blade!

I have the blade cleaner (which is still in its bag... I carefully wipe the blade with a cloth). I do wish I'd bought the polystyrene (styrofoam) blade. That would have been handy to have!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I actually grab the Agbay in the top middle part of the handle and put my other hand on top of the cake to keep it in place.

That's EXACTLY what I do. icon_biggrin.gif

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:35pm
post #28 of 40

Relznik - I am the same. I bought the blade cleaning tool but it is in the same package that it came in. I just wipe it down with a wet towel. I absolutely love this tool!

LuvLyrics Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

I just ordered mine last week. Maureen is wonderful-she asked where I heard about it & of course, she was familiar with Cake Central icon_smile.gif She said they were really busy this week-she can always tell when there is a new Agbay thread going! I ordered it on Thurs & I got it on Sat icon_smile.gif It is only a little wider than the piece of junk large Wilton leveler (I did the happy dance all the way to the garbage can with it!!)
A couple of tips she gave... when making a white cake, she levels it, flips it over and then takes off 1/8" to remove the brown "crust" on the bottom.

Also..After she tortes/fills the cake, she will adjust the blade and run the WHOLE cake under the Agbay so she has a level surface to ice. The layers of filling can throw the final layer off a bit at times.
I would really recommend the blade cleaning tool-it SAFELY removes that gooey cake residue on the blade.
You can now buy the single blade and then upgrade later with the second blade-totally brilliant icon_smile.gif I love people who are nice and sell GREAT Products!!!

How do I get in contact with her?? I posted the link but can't find where to click to buy it...lol

liztanner30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liztanner30 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #30 of 40

I have one and I adore it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%