Crumbs In My Buttercream!!!

Decorating By pat-a-cakes Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 3:54am by JanH

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 6

First just let me say I am a novice decorator and I prefer to work with fondant because it is so much easier to hide flaws. However, I do occasionally have to do buttercream cake and everytime I do I end up with crumbs in the icing. This is a big problem especially when it is white buttercream, everything sticks out like a sore thumb. Any one have tips on how to eliminate this. I use box cake and home made buttercream using the Wilton recipe. Thanks for any suggestions.

5 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 6

crumb coat it first. then let that stiffen up and then put a thicker layer on. I also am a novice baker and have figured out that you really have to try to not go over one area to much or you have the chance of getting your buttercream all crumby. Good luck.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 6

definitely do a crumb coat. i usually thin my buttercream just a smidgen for the crumbcoat, then chill it so its nice and firm, before going over it with a layer of my thicker 'usual' buttercream.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 6

Also, chilling a little before the crumbocat, and again after the crumbocat, works miracles. I don't typically do straight-up buttercream, and also love fondant, but my crumbcoats are still usually pretty clean and free from crumbs anyway with the chilling. HTH!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 6

Yes. Always crumb coat first! I do also chill my cake before I crumb coat. I could never have a crumbless iced cake if I didn't crumb coat thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:54am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%