What Is The Shelf-Life Of Sweetex?

Baking By Polkadot79 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 11:09am by Polkadot79

Polkadot79 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 3

I've had about a cup left over in the container for about 3 weeks waiting for a small order. Today, I use it with my butter and the butter & shortening didn't seem to mix as usual even beating longer than my norm. I usually make 2 makings of the Buttercream Dream at a time and figured that must be the issue, so I went ahead and put in my powdered sugar (also different brand that I typically use). It seemed very thick so I added more milk than I typically do and beat longer. The end result is buttercream with some butter clunks. Any idea if the Sweetex was the issue?

2 replies
JanH Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 3

It sounds like your butter didn't incorporate entirely. Was the butter not room temperture when you added it to the Sweetex?

In the future, I would thoroughly cream the shortening, and then ads the room temperature butter and mix until the two are completely blended.

HTH

Polkadot79 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:09am
post #3 of 3

The butter was at room temp...almost too soft I thought. I'm not sure what went wrong. I'm up early this morn to reice the cake after getting my normal supplies last night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%