Dowel Rod Questions

Decorating By splymale Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm by splymale

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I'm making a 4 tier cake, have questions on dowels:
1. Plastic or wood?
2. How large should the center dowel be? (I mean how wide, not long). Would too thick cause the cake to crack?
3. How many dowels do you use per layer? I've seen only 3-4 used on even the largest layer, or up to 9-10. Would too many dowel rods cause the cake to craack?

Sort of related...I watched Edna on you tube. Loved iticon_smile.gif She covered her boards with wax paper attached w/ a glue gun, so they wouldn't get greasy. Has anyone tried this & did it work well?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 6

I prefer the SPS system to boards and dowels.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 6

Unless I'm using the SPS, I use bubble tea straws. I find them to be better than dowels. The inside of them fill up with cake and that makes your cake more stable than using dowels. I haven't used dowels since I had one to shift on me causing a disaster with my cake. I've never had any problem since I started using straws. icon_smile.gif

If you've watched Edna's video then you know how many supports to use per size tier.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 6

I use wood dowels and I use 5 on in each side and one in the middle. Then once stacked I drive one down the intire cake. My cakes have never cracked

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 6

I use SPS too.

Step away from those dowels!

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you! I am now reading the SPS tutorial!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%