Illinois/cook County License

Business By t4beatles Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 2:40am by t4beatles

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 7

Good morning!

I am having a really hard time finding the rules & regulations to get licensed in Illinois.

Can anyone help me find exactly where to go and what to look for?

I can't afford a space of my own so will be looking into renting time at an existing approved location.

Thank you for your help!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7

I would think that the local HD would license those kitchens and therefore would be able to tell you where they are.

cerasmiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerasmiles Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

You might want to try looking into Kitchen Chicago..there website is www.kitchenchicago.com...They have 2 locations and im sure would have the information you are looking for.

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerasmiles

You might want to try looking into Kitchen Chicago..there website is www.kitchenchicago.com...They have 2 locations and im sure would have the information you are looking for.

I can personally vouch for Kitchen Chicago. I have used it often in the past. The space is great, and the owners (Alexis and Jeff) are wonderful. One correction to the last post: They actually only have 1 location.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 7

Hey there. I'm down by Springfield, IL so I can give you a little insight. If you already have the place picked out, then you would call the Health Dept.They are the first people to call most definetely. If you are in the city......and I mean bigger cities, then it would be the city health Dept. IF you are in the country, or small town area, then you would call your county health dept. They are the first ones to come, and look at the place, tell you what you need to do..... take safe food handling course, register your business name, make sure you have those 4 sinks!, etc.....every HD is different and every county/city agency is different, so they all differ in requirements.....so then you write down a list and complete the list.....and then call him when you have all that done, and then he will come back and inspect everything, and you are good to go! Thre hardest part for me was waiting for paperwork to come in the mail so I would actually have it in my hands to show him. He wouldn't come out until I had it all on paper. I had everything completed in the bakery........but no paperwork! Let's just say there were a few weeks there in between completion of all requirements, and the actual inspection where I did a few cakes under the radar! lol Best of Luck to you. Mindy

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 7

Sorry to hijack this thread, but... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Mindy- do you know about the regulations for home-bakers? Is it allowed? TIA!!!

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #7 of 7

Thank you for all of your replies!

I will be moving towards New Lenox so I'll have to look into the county regulations and see what needs to be done.

If there is any possibility of home baking that would be nice but I'm also going to look into renting space just in case.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%