Need Ideas For A Cake For A Work Contest!

Decorating By katieavery Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 2:57am by mrsc808

katieavery Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all!

At my office, the social committee has decided to have a cake contest! But I am stumped on what to make!!!

I want something that I haven't done before and that would be good for my portfolio, but nothing too expensive or time consuming... since it is only for work.

In the past I have done wine bottle, teapots.. so I'd like something like that that has wow factor. Not many people know I make cakes, and I don't think anyone else really decorates like I might.

I was thinking of a popcorn cake, like in the confetti books cake. And naming it "getting ready for Question Period".

Anyhow, anyone have any ideas?! It will win on looks, taste and name!!

8 replies
tmac670 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 9

Is there a theme to the contest? What kind of work do you do?

katieavery Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 9
Originally Posted by tmac670

Is there a theme to the contest? What kind of work do you do?

No theme whatsoever. So I have free range!
I work in the federal government in the Rural community Development are.

I was thinking of kinda taking that route possibly...

another idea i love in the Confetti cakes book is the sushi.. hmm would that be neat?

Thanks for the reply!

tmac670 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 9

Then do something you have been DYING to try!!!!!

cakesrock Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 9

Fun... wish my work would do a contest like that! I agree, try something you've always wanted to do - challenge yourself! Have a blast! icon_smile.gif

hodges Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #6 of 9

I agree-- Do something you've been dying to do or try, but just haven't had a chance. I'm trying to figure out how to convince my next order to try a fantastic cake I saw here on CC. icon_biggrin.gif
-- of course, I also would take this opportunity to buy a new tool in order to test a new technique! icon_lol.gif

mrsc808 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

No ideas on what to make but I can tell you that from my experience is participating in a desert contest at work - they may not know or appreciate the effort you go through to make something spectacular. My coffin cake with the wood grain fondant lost to a cheesecake that had cocoa mice prints stenciled on it.

katieavery Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the help!
Love that tiffany lamp! What a neat idea! icon_smile.gif

mrsc808: Some people! That's so sad.. I can't believe they wouldn't see all that hard work!! Luckily, I am not really looking to win, I just like the idea of having an excuse to make a cake... and word got out about my cakes, so they are kinda making me do one! icon_smile.gif hehe

I'm starting to think the sushi... looks like a lot of fun to make.. and it has wood grain technique which i love... hmmm icon_wink.gif

mrsc808 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #9 of 9

LOL, the worst part was that people kept touching it so see what it was because they thought it was fake. The sushi could be lots of fun. A friend make candy sushi as a party favor and it went over very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%