Can I Make Butterflies With Ri? Any Suggestions...

Decorating By buttercreamkisses Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm by jadedlogic

buttercreamkisses Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 5

I'd like to do a spring cake with some butterflies. I've looked at a few tutorials but I don't have an edible printer and I've never used gumpaste. Do you think RI will make stand up wings?

4 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 5

It certainly will ! Get your self a pattern, and lay it under wax proof paper or a piece of asetate (thin plastic) And simply pipe your butterfly wings/ body parts over your templates (or you could do it free hand) Leave them to dry. Once there set, peel them away from the paper/plastic and attach the wings to the bodys in which ever position you wont icon_smile.gif

buttercreamkisses Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 5

thanks-off to try it right now!

leily Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 5

Definitely can!! I did these butterflies with Royal icing. Just let the wings dry completely and then laid them in the flower former with "wet" RI for the body, once the body was dry it was good to go.

These are simple ones, but I have experimented with more detailed ones too... just no pictures of those.

jadedlogic Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

When I do mine I pipe the butterfly wings on wax paper and then once dry I folded a stiff but thin (think cereal box) piece of cardboard and folded it to make a V - then I piped a line (a little shorter than the length of the inside wings) and pushed the wings into, I then piped the body and head over top of that and let it sit to dry, once dry it pops right off. There is some butterflies on my Easter cake in my gallery if you want to see. Hope that made sense and it's helpful icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%