The Center Sunk!

Decorating By heddahope Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 4:55am by heddahope

heddahope Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #1 of 4

I am baking for the first time in a few months and I used a toothpick to check to see if it were done and it came out clean. I just walked back in the kitchen and the whole middle was collapsed (10 in round) and seems uncooked on the inside. This has never happened before.

I was just making a simple cake for my brother who is coming home tomorrow so I really don't want to bake all over again. Is there anyway to salvage it? I know this may sound stupid, but I really have no clue, but can I put it back in the oven?

3 replies
prterrell Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #2 of 4

No, you cannot put it back in the oven. The chemical reaction that causes the cake to rise will not occur. The cake must be baked all the way through in one baking session.

Odyssey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:40am
post #3 of 4

That happened to me when I used WASC for the first time. Unfortunately you can really only rebake... I did use the "done" parts of the cake for cake balls though and that was delicious. Never waste good cake.

A few tips for next time using the same recipe:
Add a little more baking powder. < this was my savior!
Bake at a lower temp for longer.
DO NOT open the oven if you don't think it's done. Try shaking the oven to see if the cake looks done, if it's not it should wiggle a bit like there's liquid underneath.

Sorry this happened, and best of luck on the next bake.

heddahope Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:55am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the responses.

Lol, I figured as much on the rebaking. I already cut out the middle (it is a chocolate cake) that wasn't good and replaced it with whipped cream, raspberries, and chocolate syrup. My brother loves these things together. It looks like a big ole bowl of fruit now. He will be here in just a few hours.

Thanks for the tips for next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%