How To Make Nonedible Gems Stick To Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By graciecakes2003 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 3:50am by graciecakes2003

graciecakes2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciecakes2003 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 12

I am making a 5 tier anniversary cake that will be iced with a crusting cream cheese frosting. My client wants non-edible gemstones around the sides of the cakes. Will they stick on their own when the frosting crusts, or should I attach with royal icing? Or is there another method? I want to make sure they are secure. Thanks!

11 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:25am
post #2 of 12

Why would someone want to feed their closest friends and family non edible potentially toxic cake just because it would look pretty? Time for you (the professional with the liability insurance) to step up and have an educational session regarding lead, mercury and other likely heavy metals that are used to make "non edible crystals". Especially in a soft icing...no way all of them could be picked off, even then it is too late as all that nastiness has already leached into it. Try your google search for alternatives and if she insists...she can do whatever she wants after the cake has been released into her possession.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #3 of 12

Totally agree with minicuppie! Imagine someone breaking a tooth and suing you the cake lady. You can buy edible gems.. that is the ONLY way I would do this cake!

graciecakes2003 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 12

That was a concern of my as well. I plan to have the client sign a document that states all gems must be removed before serving. And the "gems" I found have a plastic-nontoxic backing.

If I can talk the client into using edible gems- where's the best place to buy quality ones at a reasonable price?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 12

Google edible cake jewelry. Lots of hits.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 12

This is one of those times when as a professional I'd put my foot down. No non-edible gems or I don't make the cake. Seriously, if someone does break a tooth and sues you, I'm not sure your insurance would pay the claim, as this is a known liability from the start.

PS You do have liability insurance, right?

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciecakes2003

If I can talk the client into using edible gems- where's the best place to buy quality ones at a reasonable price?

I found some at Barryl's the other day when I was googling some stuff.

beryls . com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300

- honeyscakes

graciecakes2003 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have talked the client into edible stones. I did find some nice looking ones at beryl's--thanks! So, how do I make sure these stick to the cream cheese frosting? The pic the client sent was with non-edible stones that are in facets- these are "loose diamonds". Thanks for the help.

graciecakes2003 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 12

I found an even better deal on edible diamonds at Diamond Party Confetti online. Sugar diamonds look really nice and at a great price. But if anyone gets a second to tell me the best way to ensure they stick- I'd greatly appreciate it. thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 12

You just stick 'em on before the bc crusts. Nuthin' to it.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 12

thanks for the website. i'm in love with it !!!

graciecakes2003 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:50am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much!! I appreciate all the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%