leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 25

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

24 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 25

I've got NUTHIN' tonight! Pulled an allnighter last Friday night, and this week nada, zero, zip.

Feast or famine I tell ya!

Two wedding cake consults on Sunday.

Jenn2179 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:39am
post #3 of 25

I had a 3 tier square birthday cake that I finished much earlier today. It's been pretty quiet lately but May is going to be killer. My longest day this week was Tuesday. I competed in a live cake challenge hosted by Wake Tech Community College. Best part is that I won 1st place. Wayne Steinkopf of Swank Cakes who was on TLC's Ultimate Cake-Off was one of the judges.

dguerrant Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 25

Well, 2 matching peace sign tie-dyed cakes, prego baby shower cake (thank God i talked her out of the clear geletin one), and a baseball themed bd cake. Kind of a slow cake week with me, had two to cancel. All crumb-coated and in the fridge, frosting made and airbrush ready. Just takin a breather and checking my grades for my grad school assignments. ready to call it a night and begin again in the morning.

Normita Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 25

Hello Leah!!

I am making a cake for my nephew/godson. 2 tier rainbow cake with raspberry filling and chocolate cake with peanut butter cup filling. They are going with a backyardigans theme.....hopefully it comes out good icon_smile.gif It is just a small cake.. 9 and 7 inch but I will use SPS on this little puppy!! Its amazing how SPS is so sturdy!

cakeschmake Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 25

I'm actually done for the night, which is a huge deal for me. I took on two (gasp icon_surprised.gif ) wedding cakes and a big grooms cake for Saturday and cant believe I finished them all... with time to spare.

I am going to bed before 1:00 a.m. and don't have to scramble to finish in the morning either. icon_biggrin.gif

Jenny0730 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 25

I baked my daughter's birthday cake last night with the intention of decorating tonight. Once the cakes cooled, I was excited to get started so I was up until 1:15 am and then got up at 6:00 am for work. I'm exhausted tonight!

all4cake Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #8 of 25

well...tonight, I witnessed my grandchild being born. She too, came early like her cousin last month (they were both due in May...5th and 12th (the one due the 5th came last month, the other, today.)) She (it's a girl!) weighed in at 4lbs13.5oz/19 inches long.

Everyone is okay!

leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #9 of 25

Jenn, Congratulations! That's impressive!!

Normita, SPS is da bomb! Is this your first cake with it?

tiffani_1 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #10 of 25

Mine were all picked up today - a baptism cake and a calgary flames hockey puck cake.

Weird not staying up late tonight...I kinda like the break!

Sherry1030 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:58am
post #11 of 25

Easy night tonight - just cake balls and lots of them! I made red velvet with cream cheese frosting covered in white chocolate, Choc cake with vanilla/peppermint frosting covered in dark choc, choc cake with coconut and choc frosting covered in choc, and wasc cake with choc frosting covered in chocolate. Also playing with ideas for a 'spring themed' birthday cake for a 4 yr old and 17 yr old through Birthday Wishes. Should be an early night! Also holding my breath for my Cake Central Wedding Issue to come on Monday!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #12 of 25

I'm probably going to check out early tonight. I need to read some more of the book for my book club. A month goes by faster than I'd like.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #13 of 25

Leah, I am with you - nada this weekend! Taking advantega to try some new flowers and a couple of new cake recipes

Sherry1030 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #14 of 25

Oooh - what book are you reading? We are reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave - so far, so good.. Last month was Beautiful Boy - a little disturbing but I really liked it..

heavenlys Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #15 of 25

Does everyone wanna roadtrip to me. I have graduation open house this weekend so I will be making up display cakes for that. Also must ice a bazillion cupcake samples. icon_eek.gif
got all my fillings made thumbs_up.gif

Just finished tomorrows wedding cake and all the kitchen cakes that go with it.

Check off my two tiered princess cake.

And I had a bunch of confirmation cakes I finished earlier today.

leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #16 of 25

Sherry, we decided to do "a year of Classics." You know all those books on the SAT reading list. LOL. Anyway, this month is Jane Eyre. Last month was The Trail by Kafka. Most of the club didn't "get" that one. Existential literature is difficult for a lot of people. For my month I think I'm gonna pick Catcher in the Rye. Love Salinger.

ChRiStY_71 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #17 of 25

I am making a simple birthday cake for my Dad's 66th birthday Sunday. Pound cake with chocolate ganache filling, buttercream iced with fondant accents. Working on the bow for the top now. Thought I'd wait until tomorrow to bake and fill my cakes and then decorate Sunday morning. The party is not until Sunday night...I was going to bake tonight but I'm tired...long week at work and a long night at the soccer field tonight.

Happy baking everybody! icon_smile.gif

Sherry1030 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:19am
post #18 of 25

Leah - what a good idea for book club! Hard to find books like that nowadays.. I actually have Anna Karenina and Wuthering Heights by my bed for when I'm 'between books'..

Odyssey Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:20am
post #19 of 25

First time cake clubber here ^-^
I haven't done cake all week but this weekend I have to make some figures for a cake for my sister 3 hours away. I haven't made her a cake yet and she gave me freedom as long as she gets a figure of her kitten on top. icon_biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to trying hummingbird cake for this one.

Congrats on the grandkids All4cake!party.gif
And Diana on that babyshower cake are you suggesting they wanted a baby inside of some clear gelatin? I thought prego cakes were odd enough, but if that thought is accurate it has reached a whole new level of weird...

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:47am
post #20 of 25

Working on an M&M cake and a moster truck.......which is killing me....I think it ran over me while I was working on it.

Himee Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:00am
post #21 of 25

Does it count that I worked on my cake last night and slept today? Cuz im at work now lol. Made a cute bridal shower cake with a poured sugar pond, stinking cute too and gasp Flowers!!!! The calla lillies came out way good as well as the carnations. Im still struggling with my roses but practice makes perfect. Got my cake dummies in the mail today and cant wait to practice on them monday when im off from work. Woo Woo!

Normita Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:00am
post #22 of 25

Leah...this will be the second time I use SPS. The first time was on my grandparents 65th wedding anniversary 3 tier cake I made last weekend. Its amazing how the tiers do not slide off as it only has a little hole in the middle of each cardboard icon_eek.gif

But hey...it works wonders and thats all that matters...I too am a believer in SPS!!

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:02am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey

First time cake clubber here ^-^
I haven't done cake all week but this weekend I have to make some figures for a cake for my sister 3 hours away. I haven't made her a cake yet and she gave me freedom as long as she gets a figure of her kitten on top. icon_biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to trying hummingbird cake for this one.

Congrats on the grandkids All4cake!party.gif
And Diana on that babyshower cake are you suggesting they wanted a baby inside of some clear gelatin? I thought prego cakes were odd enough, but if that thought is accurate it has reached a whole new level of weird...

I have to agree with you on the prego cakes. I saw a couple of pictures posted on cc with the baby in the clear gelatin. icon_eek.gif I hope to NEVER see another one icon_lol.gif It's just too much... imo.

leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:24pm
post #24 of 25

OMG, I was hoping that the clear gelatin wasn't what I thought it was. ACK - it's exactly what I envisioned.

Normita - amazing isn't it? Before you use SPS you just don't "get" how it could possibly be as stable as it is with the little peg. But if you watched your house being built, you'd be amazed to find out that your roof is nailed on with really short nails.

mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #25 of 25

"ACK" is right icon_lol.gif . That has to be one of the worst cake ideas I've seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%