Need Ideas To Combine Two Events Into One Cake!

Decorating By Torts Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm by Torts

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 4

OK... so I'm Catholic, and my girl's rosary group is having our last meeting on Wednesday before most of the girls graduate college and move on with their lives. They asked me two weeks ago if I'd made a cake for the occasion... so I'd been brainstorming different ideas (one was that I was going to make stained glass from isomalt to make a round cake that looks like the window in the Vatican- the orange one with the dove in the center, if you've seen it)... I thought it shouldn't be too difficult. I had a couple other ideas, but that one I though would be my favorite.

ANYWAY... my good friend who has hosted the rosary group at her apartment for the past 4 years got engaged tonight. So I want to try to incorporate this as well... since she's played such a significant role in our group and she's one of the ones who is graduating.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to do two cakes (a. because there's only 10 girls or so and we don't need two, b. I have finals starting next week so don't have the time to make two, and c. I can't afford it.)

I thought about trying the buttercream painting technique and doing a "wedding at cana" theme (if you're Catholic you know that's one of the mysteries of the rosary)...

I've only made about 6 cakes, so my talent is limited, but I'm willing to try new techniques if anyone has ideas.

I'd like to start baking on Sunday- so ideas through then would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #2 of 4

Do you have a bakery or cake supply store nearby? If so ask if they would run a picture thru the edible ink printer for you. Then all you have to do is find the pic you want.
* OBTW...I no longer consider myself a Catholic, but on occasion (funerals mostly) will find myself on my knees with the beads slipping thru my fingers. So peaceful and the best part of the Faith IMO.

sugnspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugnspice Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 4

Have you thought of making a cake that looks like an opened bible? You can also make a rosary out of fondant to lay through the crease of the cake. You could write a salutation to the girls on one side of the book & a salutation to your newly engaged friend on the other side. The bible cake is very easy to make. There is a forum already on Cake central link below:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1950151[/url]

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies! I've tried the edible images from Publix and they came out awful! I'm hoping to invest in my own printer soon...

The Bible idea was cool- I couldn't get the link to work though...

So I decided to go my own route. I'm gonna go with the Wedding at Cana theme- I'm gonna do a play off of the floating beer can that's pouring into a beer mug, except instead of a beer can I made a water pitcher out of gumpaste and the flow will go from water to wine... pouring into the cake which will be a jug of wine.

Any tips are greatly appreciated! I'm using a PVC pipe instead of dowel for extra support but the gumpaste pitcher I'm afraid will still be too heavy. I'm stacking the cake on styrofoam and carved the whole thing to look like a jug. I'm hoping the styro will give the PVC pipe extra support to hold the pitcher up.

SO. At this point. Cake is torted, filled, settled, carved and set on styrofoam. Water pitcher is made, dried, and hardened. I'll ice and cover in fondant tonight... Anything past this point (i.e. best way to cover the PVC pipe to look like water fading into wine), I'd love advice on.

THANK YOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%