Advice On Wedding Cake & Pricing

Decorating By CakeMommyJeni Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm by leah_s

CakeMommyJeni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyJeni Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I am fairly new to cake decorating. I just got asked to quote my first wedding cake and I am sort of at a loss as to what to quote. They need the cake to feed 200 people, which at that right there, I am not sure what sizes of pans to use.

The pic they sent me looks like they used a 6, 8, 10 and 12 round, but that would not feed 200 if the 6 is going to be saved like it usually is. So, I am wondering what sizes to use and if the top tier is usually a 6 inch for a wedding or if I could do like a 10 if I were to do 16, 14, 12, 10.

Also wondering how much to quote her, it is a pretty simple cake design. Just fondant covered with swags around the border and some flowers, I will put in the link to the picture for you. Thank you in advance!

http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/351/3516804/30_2009/dabfedc9cdc2336e_black-and-white-wedding-cakes-01.jpg

4 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 5

Hello. icon_smile.gif Have you charged before, and if so do you have a price per serving? That is a good place to begin. Is this your very first wedding cake? I don't want to sound discouraging, it's not meant that way, but that seems like a really big cake to begin with (not saying you couldn't pull it off, as maybe you've done other big cakes...etc. ) It's a beautful photo.

For my business, this feeds 195:
6, 8, 10, 12, 14... I've never actually baked a 16" before so it's not part of my equation.

Best of luck to you. icon_smile.gif

Ascencio100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ascencio100 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:10am
post #3 of 5

I'm new in this too but I have done quite some wedd cakes, and for 200 I like to go apart from each size per exeple I would use molds size 16",12", 10" and 6". specialy if they want to keep the 6" I also make all of them doble and use all 4 layers for each of them. enjoy your first one I hope everthing goes well. Veronica

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 5

The current trend in wedding cake is to include the top tier in the serving amt. I gift them with a certificate for a 2 layer 6 in for their first anniversary. For some reason I am link impaired today so check out the Wilton site for both wedding and party serving sizes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 5

for 200 servings, I'd do either a 6/9/12/15 for 185 servings or 6/8/10/12/14 for 211 servings. Per the Wilton wedding cake chart. That's serving the top tier, since minicuppie is correct - couples don't save the top tier much any more.

I definitely would not do a 10" as a top tier. It will look very odd. If the florist is preparing a floral topper, they will expect a 6" top tier. It's the standard for wedding cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%