Make Antannas On A Bug?

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 15

seriously. LOL

I made them out of gumpaste/fondant and have a cage around them made out of toothpics trying to get them to dry standing up. The bug is pretty small. its head is about the size of the #16 ball in the Wilton fondant tools kit. ????

LOL Sorry its such a silly question, but I do need them, its for the firefly on Princess and the frog, and its pretty obvious when he aint got them. LOL

14 replies
chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 15

oh and I have dial up so no youtube for me icon_sad.gif

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 15

When I make Royal Icing butterflies I cut some flower stamens and use those - in my gallery the easter cake with the daisies has RI butterflies where you can see it.
Hope that helps!

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 15

I use flower stamens too, for added effect I sometimes dip the tip of the stamen in edible glue and then into glitter.

chellescountrycakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 15

are those the things I saw at hobby lobby? LOL

Alright. maybe I will pick some of those up next time I'm in the city (which is about every 3 months for me. ROFLMAO!)

Guess I will try to find some floral wire I have here and maybe dip them in something to make them pretty- then tell the mom to NOT let the kids eat them. Its a TOTALY edible cake. even spagetti instead of toothpics. LOL

THanks y'all icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:51am
post #6 of 15

If you want to leave them edible, why didn't you like using gp? ? I've done whiskers several times out of gp. It is kind of a pain but I like that there are no edibility issues. Spaghetti is a great option too. Verimicelli/angel hair might be thin enough to work for antennae.

What I did with the whiskers is I made them and dried them FIRST. Meanwhile I poked holes for them to sit in, into my figure, so that when they were dry I just put a teeny bit of gum glue in the hole w/a toothpick and then inserted the whiskers. Still needed to support them till dry, but at least they were already dried straight. (Actually the first time I did this I forgot to poke the holes in the figure. You can still glue the dried gp onto your figure w/o holes, it is just more taxing to get them to stay put til dry.)

Jakap2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jakap2 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:11am
post #7 of 15

Hi, this is not my idea but when I was making ladybugs, I found info from KeyArtStudioCakes about using rice noodles for antennas. They are fairly thin so you can use them for even small things. I just boiled water, added color and then added noodles (no more boiling). Within few minutes they turned black (but you can use any color you want) and noodles got soft so I could shape them any way I wanted. They dried over the night, totally easy icon_smile.gif I put tiny piece of fondant ball at the end. HTH
Oh, and they are of course edible icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 15

ceshell, I did them up, some out of GP and some out of gp/fondant and was letting them dry.
THEN it dawned on me how hard it would be to put them on, I just didnt think the glue would stick them that well. LOL never thought about the hole with a toothpick... DUH! LOL Thanks!!

JaKap, That is a cute idea! I never thought abotu that!! thanks~!! I might do that next time I have a bug!! and use Ceshells idea of the toothpick hole.. LOL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

THEN it dawned on me how hard it would be to put them on, I just didnt think the glue would stick them that well. LOL never thought about the hole with a toothpick... DUH! LOL Thanks!!

Welcome to the club of those of us who have great tips to share...AFTER we learn these things the hard way!! dunce.gifthumbs_up.gif

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:05am
post #10 of 15

I make mine for butterflies and bugs using very very thin platic coated jewelry wire. I found it at Michaels in black and it is perfect. You can also curl it with your fingernails if you want. I just pop them in before my gumpaste dries. It is 7 Strands Beadalon, Bead Stringing Wire .015 or .38mm. It even looks real for tiny ladybugs.

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #11 of 15

casme, do you ever worry about kids getting them?

I mean I know that I tell everyone "everything is edible, it doesnt TASTE good to adults, but its edible and safe (kids LOVE my fondant and gumpaste though. LOL) but I do tell them about the spagetti, I just know from my own kids parties (which is usually just them four and adult family members) I am usually running in 18 differnt directions and dont always think about the cake or who is eating it, or got what peice. and I'm the one who made it. Thats why I started using spagetti, my 2 year old was eating on the skewers that were holding up his 'construction zone' sign at his last party. LOL And I KNEW they were in there. LOL

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:49am
post #12 of 15

I won't use them for a kids cake unless I take the decorations off before they eat it. That or I will pull the antennas off.

chellescountrycakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #13 of 15

casme, I reckon thats the best way to go. icon_smile.gif I wish I wasnt so absent minded and could remember. LOL

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 15

I have found very thin noodles in the Asian section of the supermarket that work great for antennae. If you're not keen on parboiling, then waiting for them to dry, you can do what I do and color the noodles with edible markers.

chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm
post #15 of 15

I am definatly gonna check into the noodle thing...

THanks y'all!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%