Oh Gosh, I Am Probably So Wrong Posting Here... But...

Decorating By Gingerbread_from_Germany Updated 16 May 2010 , 4:10pm by Gingerbread_from_Germany

Gingerbread_from_Germany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerbread_from_Germany Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 32

Hello everybody,

I am new here at cc (but I am a member of the same cake forum in Germany as Tuggy) and I was looking for somewhere to introduce myself - but I couldn't find anywhere. icon_confused.gif
I thought that was just being polite and we have that option in the German forum and actually, they really like you to introduce yourself and say where you're from, how old, what you do etc....

So if something like that does exist here, I apologise profusely and I am so sorry, for posting here wrongly. Would somebody then please be kind enough to point me in the right direction? icon_redface.gif

It is just SO BIG here, we always say that everything is bigger and better in America and that is definately true here!

Thank you very much and I must say, I am enjoying myself enormously here, I love the humour too. icon_biggrin.gif

Kind regards
Marina
P.S. I am an English Lady living in Germany, so please excuse any spelling mistakes or slight etiquette sins - I am quite confused somtimes! icon_lol.gif

31 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 32

Welcome Gingerbread! Where are you in Germany? I spent a year there when my ex was in the Army.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 32

HI Marina! Welcome to CC!

I know what you mean about the introductory posts, ive been on a few forums with threads just for that purpose, but i think you should be ok posting in the general, most newbies post along with a specific question, So it ends up in that category anyway! I wouldn't worry about it much XD

Cc Rocks! \\m/ Have fun !

Cath icon_smile.gif

Gingerbread_from_Germany Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 32

Hello and thank you for the quick and warm welcome!

I love it here! And the best thing is, I can talk and read cake in my mother tongue at last!

I live in Duisburg in Germany, which is about 40km from Duessldorf in north west Germany also not too far from Cologne, if that says anything to you?

But I was born in Newcastle, grew up first in Blackpool and then in Maidstone, in Kent in England and moved to Germany when I was 17 - and didn't speak a word of the language.
Now I'm fluent, but I do miss all things English and go home (oops, I still call it home) as much as I can.

Cake decorating is still VERY small in Germany, I have thought of moving back to England so many times since I became addicted to this hobby.
But my husband is German and refuses to move to England!

I'm having loads of fun here, reading as much as I can and looking at the fabulous cakes - they are just amazing! And like I said, I love the sense of humour here, I miss that in Germany quite a lot sometimes icon_wink.gif

I'm really looking forward to many happy hours here. This really is so much bigger than I thought, there is a lot to see. I'm just a hobby baker, but I hope I can give something back to this great forum.

Kind regards
Marina

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 32

Welcome Marina!!! You are going to love this site!! Looking forward to seeing your cakes!!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 32

Welcome Gingerbread_from_Germany!

This is an amazing website! It really is an excellent place to come for advice, ideas, recipes or if you just need to vent a little! It is VERY easy to get addicted to CC!!

Have fun!

Chelsea

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 32

Welcome!! icon_smile.gif ( I love your name!!)

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 32

Welcome to CC Marina!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:13pm
post #9 of 32

Marina, Im from sunderland! Just next door to newcastle, Your my rival magpie by birth rights lmao! Oh yes, it is all to easy to addicted . .Forgot about housework it has now been replaced by cake, lol x

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 32

Hello Marina,
I have a half sister that lives in Germany, about an hour north of Berlin. Her name is Marina also! My parents came to America is the 50's. My husband and I will be going to Germany to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in September. I seen your lighthouse in Germany the other day and was so happy to see something from Germany. I recently did a birthday cake for my Father of his hometown of Danzig. When he was born it was a german Free City State. Now after World War II it is Gdansk, Poland.
Hope you enjoy your time on CC. I just started cake decorating a few months ago and since I found out about Cake Central I spend WAY too much time on here and not enough doing the things around the house I should be doing. Oh well.
Nice to meet you!!!

Gingerbread_from_Germany Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 32

Hello everybody,

Thanks so much for your warm welcome, I can't say that often enough!

I am already addicted! icon_biggrin.gif I was already addicted on Torten-Talk - that is the German Forum and I don't think I can get off the cake drug any time soon! icon_lol.gif House-work, what's house work?? icon_rolleyes.gif

My husband just pried me away from the laptop before and forced me to eat a plate of food icon_lol.gif

@ Cath - no rivals here, no worries, we moved away from Newcastle whilst I was still a baby

@Elllie - I hope you have a great time in Germany on your wedding anniversary - where are you going, do you know yet? If you need any tips or help with any translation, just ask, I'd be happy to help.
Don't worry too much about the language barrier, most Germans learn English at school and can speak it relatively well, you won't have any problems.

I am already having a great time here and I am sure I'll have a lot more fun!

Marina

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 32

Hello again Marina,
We're going to my sister's for a week, stop and see my uncle in Hannover and then we're going to the Rhine River for a few days and to the Alps for a few days. I can speak enough german to get around. I grew up listening to my parents, aunts & uncles speaking german. I'm amazed when I go to Germany how much I remember from my childhood. Thanks for the offer. Do you know any nice hotels on the Rhine??? 3 years ago we went to Germany, France & England. After Germany & France we were saying it will be nice to go to England and be able to understand everyone(my husband doesn't speak german & neither one of us speaks french) but when we got to England we had to laugh. The King's english is VERY different from American english! Nice chatting with you!
Ellie

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 32

Just want to say welcome to cc. You're going to love it here icon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 32

Welcome! It is great to have you here...and as others have noted, this place can take up a lot of time...but there is so much great information here.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #15 of 32

It's true! You are going to have so much fun on CC and in the forums! Welcome to our cake world!

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #16 of 32

Welcome! I'd love to go to Germany (and England) some day. I hear it's amazingly beautiful! Someday I'll get there...

I love your PS from your original message. Can't wait to see some of your cakes!!!

Susgene

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:53pm
post #17 of 32

Welcome! I love, love, love this place and I know you will too!

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:56pm
post #18 of 32

Hi Marina

Nice to meet you, I'm from the UK aswell and love this site!!

Lyndsey xx

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:21pm
post #19 of 32

Welcome--this place is so great and it's amazing how much I learn every time I look over the posts on this site.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 32

Wow, you're so lucky! Germany has some of the best cuisine, IMHO (I grew up eating a lot of German-American food as all of my maternal Great-great grandparents immigrated from Germany). And the German pastry tradition is wunderbar! icon_biggrin.gif You have a great oppurtunity to combine the traditional pastries and cakes with the modern world of cake decorating! Soooo coool!

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 32

Hello Marina!

Nice to meet you here! This is the best place ever, for everything concerning cake and more. I am from the Netherlands, living in Almere which is close to Amsterdam. We are not that far apart!
Happy caking!

Mireille

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:04pm
post #22 of 32

Hello Gingerbread! We just moved from Germany last year. (my hubby is military). We were stationed at Geilenkirchen. LOVED it. But, it definitely was hard to fulfill my cake dreams. I had to order everything! But don't you just love the little sugar decor that they have at the grocery stores?

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:36pm
post #23 of 32

Welcome Marina! Good to know that there is a lot more going on in Germany then just "marching and pooping" (Craig Ferguson joke!) You will learn alot about cakes here and also about our stupid American (or Scottish!) humor.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #24 of 32

Just a big "Howdy" & "Welcome" from Texas! We've spent lots of time in Germany...visting sites....driving....Just enjoying the people and food, and England...what's not to love about the English!!!... except maybe the food....whoops..just kidding (I don't eat kidneys)! icon_eek.gif Of course, you probably wouldn't like our blackeyed peas & cornbread! icon_lol.gif On this site, you will get lots of encouragement & help with any and everything. I have never seen a site that has as many people willing to share and help! Enjoy!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #25 of 32

Hi Marina! I'm an American living in England for the last seven years. I love Germany too (I try to get my husband to take me on all his German business trips), but I have a tin ear for languages... fortunately he speaks German fairly well. (Really, the only thing I don't like about Germany is the flour... can't figure out the number thing.)

Are you familiar with the Cake International show that takes place every year at the NEC in Birmingham? This year it takes place 5,6,7, November. There is a chance to go to demos and do a lot of shopping. There is competition as well, including international entries. Perhaps you should plan a trip to the UK around that time!

Ann

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #26 of 32

Welcome, Marina! Could you tell us a bit more about German cake forum?

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #27 of 32

Welcome!

heidemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidemarie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:08pm
post #28 of 32

Welcome Marina. Could You please tell us how to find the German Forum Torten-Talk. I am from Germany, was born and raised near Trier. Thank You very much.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #29 of 32

Wilcommen Marina!!
My youngest son was a foreign exchange student in Germany a few years ago. Both my boys studied german in high school. I know you'll love this site. Please don't ever hesitate to ask any questions or post any pictures. I'd love to see your work. The UK has some of the most cutting edge cake designs I've ever seen and you're not far from there. I'm excited to hear more from you.
Cindy

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:24pm
post #30 of 32

Welcome, prepare for long hours on CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%