Glow In The Dark Gel Paste?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm by cownsj

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 10

I have an order for a sweet 16 party. They will have all black lights and glow necklaces and such. I was just talking to the mom and she said she needs to figure out a way to showcase the cake. So I thought about glow in the dark fondant. The cake will be all black with neon swirls on it. Anyone know if they make such a thing?

9 replies
towenby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
towenby1 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 10

Not much help, but if they are using black lights, I would think a white cake would really glow. You could take a piece of white fondant and see how it does under a black light and see if she will change from black.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 10

On one of the cake challenges on Food Network, one of the decorators used thinned down gel with tonic water. She applied it very lightly and it glowed in the dark.

towenby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
towenby1 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 10

I just googled "edible glow in the dark food coloring" and one of the sites is a thread from here with a link. Pretty cool.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 10

Tonic water with quinine in it. It's the quinine that makes it glow in the dark. Practice painting some white fondant with gel that has the tonic water with quinine. btw, adding the tonic water to the gel makes it taste much better than it tastes without it.

mindy1204 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 10

I am going to try this for sure. Does anyone know how long this effect will last on fondant? If I do it in the morning when I am assembling the cake will it still work in the evening. I will try a piece and let it sit out/

snowballwinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowballwinters Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 10

One of my first cakes was for a sweet sixteen glow party and I would've love to have made the cake glow in the dark. Instead I opted for using glow sticks in, on and around the cake. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

cownsj Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

I am going to try this for sure. Does anyone know how long this effect will last on fondant? If I do it in the morning when I am assembling the cake will it still work in the evening. I will try a piece and let it sit out/

I'm not sure, but when I was experimenting with it in the gel I had left it for 2 days and it still glowed. But I didn't try it on fondant, but on bc. But I'm guessing that if it works in gel, it shouldn't matter what is behind it.

mindy1204 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 10

Awesome thanks guys. I will try it this weekend and see how it works. I havent mentioned it to the customer yet, want to make sure it works but I am thinking she will love the idea for sure.

cownsj Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Awesome thanks guys. I will try it this weekend and see how it works. I havent mentioned it to the customer yet, want to make sure it works but I am thinking she will love the idea for sure.

That's what I did. I practiced with it in several different ways over a few days time. Then when I had it figured the way I was goin to try it.............. get this.............. I remembered it was an afternoon, outdoor party. HAHAHAHAHHAHA on me... icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%