Commercial Kitchen Renters!! A Few Questions...

Business By amberlicious Updated 28 Apr 2015 , 6:52pm by Lwarmke79

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

1. What state are you in?
2. Where is your commercial kitchen? (church, restaurant etc)
3. How much/how do you pay? (Monthly, by the hour etc)
4. What hours do you work in the kitchen? (am/pm/whenever) And how many hours a week?
5. Anything else I should know?

5 replies
m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 6

I have a question as well...what is the best way to find space to rent? Craigslist, calling places???

When you were looking for places, what types of questions did you ask? Anything we should know about or things that should raise red flags?

I am in Washington state and just started to consider this as an option after encouragement from my former sous chef...

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlicious

1. What state are you in?
2. Where is your commercial kitchen? (church, restaurant etc)
3. How much/how do you pay? (Monthly, by the hour etc)
4. What hours do you work in the kitchen? (am/pm/whenever) And how many hours a week?
5. Anything else I should know?

1.NY
2. church
3. $8/hr which is really cheap
4. Whenever just have to schedule. I work about 25 hours a week
5. Call churches to see if they have commerical kitchens for rent.

judyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyz Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #4 of 6

Hello!

1. What state are you in? Colorado
2. Where is your commercial kitchen? (church, restaurant etc) We rent space "as needed" from a health food store that maintains a 3000 sq. ft. kitchen to prepare their fresh baked goods in. We can use the kitchen any day of the week after 5 p.m. and all day on weekends. We have complete use of the huge walk-in cooler and freezer, along with one NSF stainless steel rack for storing frequently used items.
3. How much/how do you pay? (Monthly, by the hour etc) $100 month
4. What hours do you work in the kitchen? (am/pm/whenever) And how many hours a week? after 5 p.m. on an "as needed" basis
5. Anything else I should know? Get ServSafe certified and be sure and carry general liability insurance.

We consider ourselves VERY lucky to have found this kitchen. We tried to rent space from a local church, but soon found out that they had so many events that there was never a time we could actually use the facility.

Check with your local family-owned health food stores and also retirement homes. They only use their kitchens during the day.

Best of luck!

tamimisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamimisha Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 6

Hi judyz. I'm also in Colorado. Where is the kitchen that you rent? I live in pueblo but an in springs every day for work. Can you  give me any pointers on starting a cake business here? Is there any way (above and beyond cottage food) to legally run it from home?

Lwarmke79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lwarmke79 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, I got lucky thru friends on facebook that hooked me up with a caterer that I went to high school with.

1. NJ

2. A commercial catering kitchen

3. We are trading. I bake for his catering company when they have dessert orders, but my name is on the desserts.

4. I go for 2-3 hrs in the morning and a couple hours in the evenings.

5. So far my situation is working great. Wish I could still work from home but not I am legal and loving it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%