How Many Cups Of Batter

Decorating By PTBUGZY1 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm by GI

PTBUGZY1 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 4

Sorry if this is like a DOH!!! question but recently when baking my cakes rise and the edge begin to turn in and over, I'm thinking to much batter so....
how many cups of batter does a box cake produce ? (no extender)
how many cups batter does a box box plus extender produce?

plus this will help me when using the wilton guide so I know how much batter to make.

thank you icon_smile.gif

3 replies
KHalstead Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 4

depending on the mix 5 or 6 cups of batter HTH

nonilm Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 4

When I first started making cakes I would measure the batter of each cake mix before I added it to the pan so next time I would know how many cups of batter it made. I now know that for the brand I use, a white cake mix is about 4 cups and a chocolate cake is about 5 cups. I have even tried other brands and had 5.5 cups. So each mix is different.

I have started using parchment collars on my 2in high pans so I don't get that hard crust on the edges when the batter is "a little too much". Plus I can get extra height too.

GI Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 4

The Duncan Hines cake mix boxes shows the Classic Yellow makes 5 1/2 cups of batter, and the Dark Chocolate one says 5 cups.

I am a scratch baker, so scratch cakes vary by recipe.....I suggest just measuring and keeping your own record in your cookbooks if this would help you to remember how much you need. I myself write exactly on the recipe how many cups the batter makes, if its cupcake-worthy, or if its just good for a stack cake instead of a carved cake....

Quote by @%username% on %date%