Freezing Cakes

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm by catlharper

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 9

I am aware that you can freeze cakes, but what do you recommend wrapping them in? Just saran wrap?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 9

how long are you planning to freeze? i usually only freeze for a couple of days at the most, and usually a double layer of saran wrap will do, any longer and id suggest wrapping in saran, and then foil.

Tclanton Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 9

Not sure that I can even find room, but I have cake orders for two weekends in a row and I am just thinking in advance. Maybe store in freezer for possibly 1 week plus?

Thanks for the tip - I will wrap with foil also. Thaw in frig or on countertop?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 9

Its personal choice, i prefer to thaw on the bench out of the wrapping, some like to leave it in the wrapping.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 9

Hi, you can freeze cakes upto 3 months. I wrap them in saran wrap really well. Then in foil and then I put them in freezer bags. icon_smile.gif

Tclanton Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks to all of you! icon_biggrin.gif

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 9

How about cheesecakes? Tightly wrapped, how long can they be frozen?

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 9

Some of my best cakes I've tasted have been frozen for literally 2-3 months. As long as they are properly wrapped (I double wrap in plastic wrap, very tightly), then they should be absolutely fine to be frozen for a while.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 9

I double wrap in Press and Seal. This works beautifully. When it's time to decorate I simply unwrap, fill, crumbcoat and then, if a final buttercream coat is going on then I just go ahead and finish the cake. IF however the final coat is fondant then allow the crumbcoated cake about 2 hours to come to room temp before covering. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%