Karo Syrup?

Baking By cakesrock Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 6

I want to make the true black fondant in recipes, but cannot find Karo syrup. Is plain molasses a substitute?
TIA icon_smile.gif

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:48am
post #2 of 6

NO. You need LIGHT CORN SYRUP. Doesn't have to be "karo". Karo is the brand name of the light corn syrup that most people use.

JanH Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #3 of 6

Can you get BeeHive corn syrup, or glucose syrup?

Corn syrup vs. glucose syrup:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/17638/glucose-vs-corn-syrup

HTH

prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 6

OMGoodness, NO do NOT use molasses! Molasses has a very strong taste. It's wonderful in gingerbread and on biscuits, but would be horrible in fondant!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

OMGoodness, NO do NOT use molasses! Molasses has a very strong taste. It's wonderful in gingerbread and on biscuits, but would be horrible in fondant!

icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif When I said "NO" in my reply to the OP this is exactly what I meant. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I actually saw using molasses as a substitute for Karo recommended on-line somewhere (E-How, maybe) ? Again, it emphasizes that you can't trust everything you read on the internet! Yes, I agree the taste is strong and I dont' appreciate the taste either!
Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif
Terri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%