Confused On Crumb Coating...

Decorating By LoJay Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 5:50am by mayo2222

LoJay Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone! icon_smile.gif

I am a first time baker here..... I am making a three tiered cake covered in fondant. I made the marchmallow creme and butter cream icing recipe that I found on this site to use a crumb coat on my practice cake. It looks like it is very soft and won't hold up well if there is any heat....

Can somebody recommend a crumb coat for underneath my fondant? I am confused about crusting vs non-crusting, etc. Thanks!

Lauren

9 replies
crisseyann Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 10

I don't do fondant cakes, but lately I have been reading that alot of people on this site are using ganache. It sets up nice and firm for a nice, smooth base for fondant. HTH. icon_smile.gif

SunshineSally Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 10

Indydebi's buttercream can't be beat. I will never use another buttercream recipe. However, using ganache under fondant is awesome!!!!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSally

Indydebi's buttercream can't be beat. I will never use another buttercream recipe. However, using ganache under fondant is awesome!!!!

Once I finally made Indydebi's buttercream I've never used any other. I have to agree it's awesome. I use it under fondant all the time.

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 10

TFS! I am a newbie too. Where can I find Indydebi's buttercream??

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #6 of 10

Look under the recipes tab at the top. Then you can type what you are looking for in the search filled.

mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 10

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Heres the link you want. Creative Cookie brings up a good point, make yourself familiar with the search bars as its a great tool to know how to use

thescrapmaster Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:26am
post #8 of 10

Thank you! I found it!

LoJay Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:43am
post #9 of 10

Hey All!

Thanks so much for your replies. It sounds like INdieDebbie's is the way to go! I will try making that tomorrow...

Whats the best way to apply the fondant? I seem to have seen different "rules" on regrigeration.... THis is my plan:

Bake and cool cakes. Apply filling between layers. Assemble/stack the layers. Apply IndieDebbies BC to crumb coat. Refrigerate until cool. Apply fondant.

After the fondant is applied, we don't refrigerate, right?
Thanks for clarifying the steps for me!

LoJay

mayo2222 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:50am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJay

Hey All!

Thanks so much for your replies. It sounds like INdieDebbie's is the way to go! I will try making that tomorrow...

Whats the best way to apply the fondant? I seem to have seen different "rules" on regrigeration.... THis is my plan:

Bake and cool cakes. Apply filling between layers. Assemble/stack the layers. Apply IndieDebbies BC to crumb coat. Refrigerate until cool. Apply fondant.

After the fondant is applied, we don't refrigerate, right?
Thanks for clarifying the steps for me!

LoJay

Depends on what type of filling you are going to be using, if its just BC then no it doesn't need to be refrigerated but if its some type of mousse, sour cream, etc type filling then it needs to be in the frig. Otherwise I would say you have the basic steps down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%