A Good Buttercream?

Baking By SassySweetz Updated 10 Jun 2010 , 3:11am by mamawrobin

SassySweetz Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 8

Other than Sharon Zambito's buttercream what is another good one? I don't want to make Sharon's because I don't have hi-ratio shorting. I tried IndyDebi's but I honestly didn't like it at all. It tasted too much like Crisco.

I need a good simply one to use for a wedding shower on Sat for cupcakes.

TIA

7 replies
CookieD-oh Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #2 of 8

Rick's Special Buttercream Frosting (Modified):
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
2 lb pwd sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 -2 tsp clear vanilla (depending on taste)
4-6 oz heavy cream

Cream butter and shortening until fluffy. Add sugar and stir until well-blended. Beat in salt and vanilla and slowly add cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat for 5 minutes or until fluffy.

If you don't like the shortening, you can use all butter. It just makes it a little more prone to melting.

prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 8

I use IMBC exclusively.

jammjenks Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Rick's Special Buttercream Frosting (Modified):
1 cup butter
1 cup shortening
2 lb pwd sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 -2 tsp clear vanilla (depending on taste)
4-6 oz heavy cream

Cream butter and shortening until fluffy. Add sugar and stir until well-blended. Beat in salt and vanilla and slowly add cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat for 5 minutes or until fluffy.

If you don't like the shortening, you can use all butter. It just makes it a little more prone to melting.

Mine is similar to this. I thin with water instead of cream and do not mix it that long.

Emma37 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 8

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp clear butter flavored extract
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
5 tblsp (or more) skim milk
1/4 cup fluffy whipped store bought frosting (white)

I get compliments on the flavor every time. The added store bought frosting gives me the consistency I am looking for.

SassySweetz Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I use IMBC exclusively.

What IMBC recipe do you use?

Emma37 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma37

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp clear butter flavored extract
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
5 tblsp (or more) skim milk
1/4 cup fluffy whipped store bought frosting (white)

I get compliments on the flavor every time. The added store bought frosting gives me the consistency I am looking for.

I just realized I forgot---
icon_redface.gif 4 cups powdered sugar

mamawrobin Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #8 of 8

[quote="SassySweetz"] I tried IndyDebi's but I honestly didn't like it at all. It tasted too much like Crisco.

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif This really does surprise me as the caterer that I bake for has ask me IF I use shortening in my buttercream. She loves my icing and didn't think that it was shortening based. I have never heard anyone say that before.
Since her recipe uses less shortening than most (2:1 sugar / fat ratio instead of 1:1 sugar/fat ratio) I find it just the opposite. I always thought that the reason that I couldn't taste the shortening is because of the Dream Whip but it may be that I beat (pulverize) the shortening for at least 15 minutes before adding any other ingredients. I also beat the icing forever after all of the powdered sugar has been added.

Anyway I just wanted to say that this is a first for me. I can understand that it may not be to your liking but that it "tasted too much like crisco" is very odd since most people that eat mine ask IF it has shortening in it. icon_smile.gif

Hmmm...strange indeed icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%