How Do You Make A Zipper On A Purse?

Decorating By cupcakers Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 3:39am by catlharper

cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 7

Love all the zippers on purses here. How in the heck do you make them? I can't get one to look right. HELP I havs a purse cake this weekend!

6 replies
malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 7

Go and raid some kids toybox! Look for the bigger (Duplo style of Lego) pieces with WHEELS!! Cut a strip out for your zipper and run over it with the duplo wheel - the tab piece can be cut out using a 'comma' cutter from your alphabet set.

If you can't find one of those - you can use a wavy/zig-zag strip cutter to emboss it.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 7
cupcakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakers Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you thank you! I would have never though of that! I went right to my closet pulled out a old sweatshirt cut out the zipper and already have one made. What would we do without CC icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 7

Just remember to tell them to remove the zipper before cutting. Nothing that is not food grade should ever be served. But this is a brilliant idea that I will use in the future! LOL!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome, cupcakers

catlharper...I thought you mistakenly figured the zipper itself stayed on the cake...but you mean even though it's only used to impress the pattern, it's not food grade, right?

My cake was only for fun, and if someone were going to eat it, it would be family or friends only, actually none of them even eat the fondant, so I would do this again, LOL...

Good point though...people should be aware if selling to a customer.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #7 of 7

LOL...yeah, that's what I meant...not that you would put the real zipper on the cake! LOL! I usually strip the cake of any embellishments before cutting it anyways...you should see the heart attack people have watching me dismantle it! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%