Is Email Ok For Approaching Other Vendors?

Business By -Tubbs Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

-Tubbs Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone who's a little more up-to-date with current business etiquette please let me know what is acceptable when approaching other vendors to tell them about my business?

I want to contact all the wedding planners, florists, make-up people etc etc in my area, and it's so hard to find actual addresses, because most of them work out of their homes and are therefore not allowed to advertise their address. They all have email, however. Is it really crass to send an introduction email with a few nice pictures and an offer to follow up with samples if they would like them? or do I have to call them to say Hi and follow up with a letter (what if they don't/won't give out their address...?)

Thanks for any pointers on this tricky subject?

6 replies
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 7

I've actually exchanged cards with a few wedding planners, vendors. It's a great networking tool. Taking samples is a great idea too!

-Tubbs Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 7

But what about when you haven't even met them? For example, if I want to contact someone who's advertising locally, should I just call and say Hi, try to write a letter, or is it ok to email an introduction?

jillmakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 7

I've emailed and received emails. I believe it is an acceptable way to introduce yourself. A good email should include the following:

Your name/business
How you found the other vendor
Why you like them
When/how you'd like to have a face to face with them'

(also, if you find that they are on facebook, become a fan!)

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 7

Definitely email them and introduce yourself. Facebook is a great way to link up also. I've actually linked several vendors to my website too. Networking is the best tool.

-Tubbs Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks - that's helpful to know. Networking is what I'm after. Business is meant to be booming, but it just...isn't. thumbs_up.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 7

I work as an events manager and would welcome emails from vendors. I keep a database of all my vendors that I have used or interested in using. So for myself, I wouldn't mind emails at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%