How Do I Make Gift Wrap Curls And Red Royal Icing?

Decorating By Manotas Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 4:16am by Manotas

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I planning on making a cake similar to this one for my son's birthday next Sunday: "Spencer's Elmo Birthday cake Uploaded By: afunk" and I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the gift wrap curls?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1601585

Also, how do you make your royal icing to be red? I made a batch last night, I added 1 TBSP of the non taste red and tons of Christmas red and couldn't get more than a dark pink.

Thanks!!!

5 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

For the red - Americolor color rather than Wilton.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 6

I had the same problem with Wilton...I agree with Wendy B...Americolor red works great.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 6

For the curls, just cut the fondant covered cake from the top center and peel the layer of fondant back in strips. A small circle of fondant will need to go underneath the fondant in the center where you are cutting.

Here's a link to how Planet Cake does it:

http://www.stickysteps.com/2010/01/planet-cake-basic-101/

Or, you could cut strips of fondant and let them dry on a curved surface (like a rolling pin), and then attach around the figure.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazi17

I had the same problem with Wilton...I agree with Wendy B...Americolor red works great.

I had to special order Americolor's super red but it's fantastic! However, you may be able to find another brand of super red at your local cake decorating store. I wouldn't use a straight red ever again unless I was desperate - you have to use too much!

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much! I will see what I can find at a local store, I ran out of Wilton red an it's still pink, what a disappointment.

I will definitely order Americolor tomorrow first thing for the next time. Where do you order it from cakesrock?

Thank you ChoueiriCakeCo for the instructions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%