Where Do I Find This Rolling Pin?!?!?!?!

Decorating By chefLinds Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm by dsilvest

chefLinds Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 10

I am desperately searching for the rolling pin that makes this pattern. I have googled everything from textured rolling pin to acrylic rolling pin to quilted rolling pin to diamond rolling pin and I can't find anything that really looks like it's the same. Help!!!!

I thought that maybe it was custom at first, but since more than one decorator on different sides of the country have the same look I'm thinking it's not custom.

9 replies
peg818 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 10

The first one i really cant see. The second and third one are different, like they are reversed

It looks like the texture on the red cake could be made using a piece of plastic canvas, the stuff you make different ornaments out of. You can most likely find it right in walmarts.

The blue looks to be a reverse of that pattern, this could be done by making a silicone mold of the plastic canvas and using that to emboss your fondant.

Of course i could be way off base but that is what it looks like to me. Looks to be embossed at an angle.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 10

I'm pretty sure avalondeco .com has that. Cal David.

catlharper Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 10

Plastic canvas! BRILLIANT! (BTW..this definitely falls into the category of "you know you are a cake artist when..." LOL!)

chefLinds Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 10

Unfortunately I can't get a better close-up photo for you all to see in any of the cakes that I found this pattern on.

It's definitely not the plastic canvas (Although that is a good idea). The shape in all the cakes is more of a diamond and canvas is very square. Also, the points of the diamonds are a bit more recessed than the lines all the way around the diamonds.

Also, the avalondeco.com site doesn't have the correct pattern either. There is one that's somewhat close that I've seen in person before, but the pattern is inversed with the lines between the diamond shapes up and the diamond shape recessed.

Thank you for trying though. The quest continues.....

malakainrop Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10

Sheets of acrylic plexiglass !

They are commonly used as lighting diffusers over fluorescent tubes


peg818 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 10

I just looked at my small embossing rolling pins and have something that is very similar. Let me see if i can figure out where i got it from.

I found a small roller at Choco-pan.com that looks close.

chefLinds Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 10

OMG! OMG! Prismatic sheet!! I THINK THAT'S IT!!! Whoever you are, you have my undying gratitude!!! FABULOUS!!!!!

chefLinds Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 10

Actually, the roller from Choco looks like it might work, too. I found I think the same one on the CalJava site, but I wasn't sure how big the pattern was. I think that the picture on the Choco-pan site gives me a better idea. I think I'll order that one, too and see if it's what I'm looking for. I can't really have too many tools, right?!

Thank you, thank you, thank you by the way!

dsilvest Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 10

I bought a plastic sleeve that fits onto a 4+ inch diameter rolling pin that gives the diamond design. It is similar to the bags used here in Canada for oranges. It is fairly stretchy. It costs under $10

Quote by @%username% on %date%