Wdding Cake Dummies?

Decorating By Katie86 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 1:24pm by cupcakemkr

Katie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie86 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 10

Hello Everyone,

So, I am a DIY'er, and I am planning my wedding. I have taken all kinds of cake decorating classes and I have been making cakes for family. Now I want to attempt my wedding cake BUT I was thinking about the dummies. One reason is because I don't have any space to store actuall cake layers, two because I don't want to be rushing myself the night before the wedding, three because it's cheaper then getting someone to make an actual wedding cake. I plan on baking the top cake and having 3 or 4 dummy layers. I can buy sheet cakes at the local bakery for a reasonable price so I have done the math and I can save approx. $300 at least. However.....people are telling me that it's not going to be any better then making or having the cake made???? There ARE some people saying it sounds like it makes sense too.....but I'm torn!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Katie

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 10

assuming that you have the skills to decorate the cake the way you'd like, I'm sure you CAN save some money.

The cost of dummy cakes is usually a little more than the cost of cake ingredients, so you won't save money there..............however, by doing the decorating yourself you WILL save a good amount by not hiring a decorator.

I think if you feel secure enough in your decorating abilities that you can give yourself the type of cake you want, then go for it.

I would plan on doing the cake several weeks if not months in advance, that way if it doesn't work out, you may still have time to get ahold of a professional!

Dummy cakes, even iced with real buttercrea/fondant will last for years if stored out of direct sunlight and in a trash bag or something to protect them from dust!

Katie86 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 10

I am confident that I can do it. I thought it all made sense, but I have had so many people tell me that it will not be any better then having someone do it, and I don't understand that so I was hoping for feedback here. Thanks for the reply!!

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 10

I think you should do it. You will be proud and save money on the cake instead of paying someone else. You could even bake your own sheet cake. Bake, fill and frost then freeze it. Only if you have room in the freezer, though. Or maybe you could store some at your family fridge. That way you know that you get quality cake.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 10

The people that are telling you that are basing that on only materials/ingredients, etc... but u need to take into account labor.... for a wedding cake u pay a lot for labor it's hours and hours of work and that's why they are so expensive... and if u know how to do it... go ahead... show off ur skills girl... u'll be so proud when is all done and you WILL save money....

Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 10

The cost of a wedding cake is not the ingredients but the labor. This is why if you are BUYING a totally decorated dummy cake, the cost is about the same as a real cake because you are paying the baker to decorate .... whether the baker is decorating a real cake or a dummy cake makes no difference in the time and labor and skill that it takes.

If you are doing the labor yourself, then you are NOT paying a bakery to do it.

Your friends should apply the same logic to mowing their lawns. They can pay a landscaping company to mow their lawn (which includes the cost of gas and the labor). Or they can buy the gas and mow it themselves.

Which is cheaper for them?

Katie86 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 10

I think the same thing......it will make it that much more rewarding. And maybe I'm overreacting to people's response, but thanks for all your support!

I have been asked how I would handle the "cutting of the cake" too, so that's my next mission!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 10

Like others have said, if you feel comfortabel with the decorating then go for it. With the dummies you can do it months in advance (of course stored out of light like suggested) and still have the cake you want. This is what I plan to do also.

As for the cutting of the cake. If you're making the top layer real, then cut that at the reception. If you want to freeze a layer then you can make an extra one when you do the top tier.... or make a replica when your first anniversary is here. Then you'll have a fresh cake (and another excuse to make another cake!!)

Katie86 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 10

You have all made me feel much better about it!!

Now, I have many places online that I have found who sell dummies, but anyone have strong suggestions on places??

Thanks!!
Katie

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 10

i believe that dallas - foam . com (w/out the spaces) has the best prices for foam.

Good luck on your wedding cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%