Neapolitan Cupcakes?

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm by Kima920

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone ever done these? I am planning to do some here in a couple weeks...and ideally i want to have the cake itself striped in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry cake. Do you know if this is doable? I have done searches online and i tend to only see chocolate and vanilla cake... topped with strawberry icing.

Can i do 3 cake types in one cup? If so... any technique recommendations?

Thanky

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 9

of course you can, I've made the rainbow striped cupcakes with 5 different colored layers. I used pastry bags, and put each flavor into a pastry bag and held it closed in the back with a rubber band. Then snip the top and squirt one flavor into the bottom giving yourself a decently even layer, then repeat with each of the other flavors. I kinda zig zagged back and forth over each layer, being sure to completely cover the color underneath.

It can DEFINITELY be done!!

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 9

I did that for a wedding. But I cheated a little, chocolate on the bottom and vanilla with a strawberry swirl baked in on top of the chocolate and then topped off with vanilla bettercream. They were a big hit.

CiNoRi Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks guys... I thought it was doable... i just found it funny that i have yet to really see it in photos anywhere! ha

just the thought of mixing things up like that makes me happy... people should do it more...there is a whole other side of creativity there! icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 9

yeah, when I did the rainbow ones I had JUST enough batter for the order I was filling so I didn't have a cupcake left to crack open and snap a photo of, I asked the customer to photograph one for me and she never did. There was no way I was mixing up more batter and flavoring it 5 different colors/flavors just to make 1 rainbow cupcake for that photo op! lol

However, I did take pics of my DD bday cake that was rainbow lol It had bavarian cream and raspberry filling (both together in a layer) in case you're wondering what that is.

It wasn't meant to be perfectly layered colors in there either......my DD layered it herself
LL

CiNoRi Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 9

So awesome! How can you NOT smile when looking at that on your plate!

For your cake.... are you using a white cake then adding the colors... if so... how are the colors compared to batter and baked...i figure if i do any dying...its a one shot deal.....so i hope it works the first try! hahah. Should i expect to see the vivid colors in the batter as well as after baked... or should plan differently?

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 9

I would add extra strawberry flavor to the strawberry layer-- my daughter made a neapolitan convoluted cake this week- with chocolate and strawberry cake and vanilla buttercream. It was very good, but the strawberry flavor was overpowered by the chocolate.

What's a convoluted cake you ask?? ( I had never heard of it) Check out this video from her school (Florida Culinary Institute)

KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 9

I did use a white cake (white chocolate raspberry cake to be exact) and just colored it.........the colors were pretty much the same before baking as they were after baking I would say!

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 9

I have made them before. I did chocolate and vanilla for the cake and then made the buttercream strawberry. I swirled the chocolate and vanilla together and then left some with the chocolate on the bottom and the vanilla on the top. The WASC recipe is great for this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%