Easiest Way To Make Fake Popcorn?

Decorating By King-Girlz Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 6:12pm by cherryse

King-Girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
King-Girlz Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 14

Attempting a cake for a movie buff. Making the 6 inch round cake into movie reels and I wanted to put a little container off to the side on the cake board just to add to it the whole theme.
I was going to make the popcorn container out of tylose gumpaste. Let it dry, line it with red stripes and then I wanted to fill it with "fake" popcorn.
What is the easiest way to get his look?
Go easy on me now...I am new to this! Hee!

13 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 14

I've made popcorn out of fondant by rolling a small ball, then using a scriber tool ( had a knife shape on one end, a point on the other), I just make 3-4 slices into the ball, then pinch out each section randomly. Then I paint the center with yellow luster dust and viola!

KimAZ

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 14

Use mini marshmallows. Cut an X in the top on one and then squeeze the bottom slightly to open the top. I then used a yellow food pen to put a little "butter" on them. This is how I made the popcorn for my circus cake in my pics. Very easy!

Joanne usaribbon.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudCake

Use mini marshmallows. Cut an X in the top on one and then squeeze the bottom slightly to open the top. I then used a yellow food pen to put a little "butter" on them. This is how I made the popcorn for my circus cake in my pics. Very easy!

Joanne usaribbon.gif

I did the same but drizzled yellow candy melts lightly over the top.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 14

Elisa Strauss has a tutorial on the satin ice webiste.

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 14

I bought the fruit flavored mm and picked out all the yellow ones. then, i moistened the end by dipping my finger in water and squished/pinched 2 or 3 regular mini mm to the yellow one. they turned out too cute. I haven't put the picture up yet. Also, as the sit, the shrivel a bit which adds to the texture.

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 14

Hi, I have used the mini-marshmallows cut with an x in too & worked wonderfully. I used the yellow spray food coloring & then dirzzled yellow cookie icing. It was a great effect! Best of luck with the cake.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #8 of 14

great tips!
icon_smile.gif

King-Girlz Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 14

My fake popcorn made of marshmallows is working perfectly! Now, how do I get them to stick together in my fake popcorn bag? Any suggestions? I filled the bag with sarah wrap to fill it 95% of the way...now I need to get them to stick together?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 14

A dab of water on the marshmallow will make the area sticky.

King-Girlz Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 14

I did it! All ready for the cake this weekend. Thanks for all your help! Happy with results for a beginner!
LL

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:14am
post #12 of 14

Looks very good. Good job!

Joanne usaribbon.gif

cherryse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryse Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 14

Wish I had a picture, but I did popcorn with thick buttercream piping. I squeezed out big sloppy stars in white then went over those (the trick was not being too perfect) and then piped with the large ball tip right in the middle of the stars at different angles. I then took a paint brush and dented in the center of the balls a little with yellow food coloring. Looked just like the real thing! I used it totally around the edges of a Hollywood cake that was due at the last minute and I didn't have time to do fondant.

cherryse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryse Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 14

Wish I had a picture, but I did popcorn with thick buttercream piping. I squeezed out big sloppy stars in white then went over those (the trick was not being too perfect) and then piped with the large ball tip right in the middle of the stars at different angles. I then took a paint brush and dented in the center of the balls a little with yellow food coloring. Looked just like the real thing! I used it totally around the edges of a Hollywood cake that was due at the last minute and I didn't have time to do fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%