Geesh I Hate To Beat A Dead Horse But I Need Help! Servings.

Decorating By Tracyj Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 12:13am by prterrell

Tracyj Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have searched this site over and there are alot of different answers. I thought I had found the perfect serving size chart but now I don't know. My chart says that I will get 50 servings from a 10 in' square. But if I'm serving for a party shouldn't the pieces be bigger? But a 2x2x4 square of cake seems huge!

What is the standard party cake seriving size? Also, if you don't mind, what number do you typically get from your pans?

5 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 6

you can always use the wilton chart from their web site. A cc'er(sorry can't remember name) posted this link on another post and I use it for everything. hth

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 6

A standard cake servings is 8 cubic inches. That means a 1" X 2" by 4" tall slice. It's plenty. If the customer wants bigger servings then the customer has to buy more cake.

DeeDelightful Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 6

It is 50 servings and a 1 x 2 x 4 is plenty! Any bigger and most people will waste it and leave it on the plate.

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

I use the Wilton party servings chart for all of my cakes. It states that a 10" square serves 30.

I'm very comfortable with those numbers as a way to explain to a recipient how I've set the value of their cake--and how many equal sized slices they can expect to get when they cut it. After that, it's up to them to adjust the slices to their, or their guests', preference.

prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 6

1x2x4 = 8 inches of cake

2x2x4 = 16 inches of cake

The first is a reasonable portion of cake. No one needs to eat more than that. Use the 1x2x4 as the standard for all servings, no matter what the occasion. If the customer wants to eat ginormous piecs of cake, then they can pay for more cake.

BTW, 2x2x2 = 8 inches of cake. The 2x2 slice is intended for 2" high cakes. Most sheet cakes are 2" high and are often thought of as the typical "party" cakes. This is why the 2x2 slice is called the "party slice". It was never intended to be used with 4" high cakes. This is where the confusion between the 1x2 and 2x2 servings comes in. Bottom line, if the cake is 2" tall, cut 2x2 slices. If it is 4" tall, cut 1x2 slices.

Quote by @%username% on %date%