Leaving Cakes Out..

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm by jammjenks

KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 14

I was under the impression that a cake with butter frosting was okay to leave out at room temperature overnight. Is this not the case?
After all, lots of people don't put butter in the fridge at all and that's okay.
Thanks,

13 replies
bashini Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 14

Hi, I never put my cakes in the fridge. If you are using cream cheese frosting, then it has to be refrigerated. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 14

butter frosting is fine to leave out. Unless your cake has something perishable as filling or icing, there is NO NEED to refrigerate it.

adamsmom Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 14

Ok, I have a question to this then. If there is a raspberry filling in it (I use raspberry jam mixed with jello), does that need to be refrigerated? Sorry to ask a silly question, but I'm new to fillings. TIA!

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 14

Well, both jam and jello must be refrigerated after opening, so I'm gonna guess "yes."

cakemamaP Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 14

can I ask a follow up to this?? what if my buttercream has 2tbsp of cream in it???? Can I leave it out?? I have and never have had a problem...but I have people asking me to make cakes for them and would not want to make someone sick.....have I just been lucky or is it really okay??

deah Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 14

There are others more knowledgeable than me but I would refrigerate a jam filling.

Here's another question - if I mix jam with BC for a filling does it still need to be refrigerated?

TexasSugar Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 14

I've left cakes with jams and preserves out many of times and have never had an issue.

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 14

I never put a cake that has Jam as a filling and my buttercream always have milk or cream in it. Never put them in the firdge, even a ganached cake.

ddaigle Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 14

Funny thing is about this question is wedding cakes. They get delivered about 5p for a 7p wedding...sit until about 8p until the "cake cutting" ceremony and probably sit out another hour or so until it is gone. I've never had a cold cake at a wedding and I've had some perishable fillings. I don't worry too much about fillings anymore! LOL.

summersusu Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 14

can i piggy back and ask...i saw a recipe

1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding or chocolate instant pudding
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

on receipezaar and was wondering if you would refrigerate this, it looks like you could change the puddings and the flavors would be endless.

KarenOR Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 14

What about ganache? In the fridge?

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 14

I don't put ganached cakes in the fridge! icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersusu

can i piggy back and ask...i saw a recipe

1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding or chocolate instant pudding
3/4 cup whole milk
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

on receipezaar and was wondering if you would refrigerate this, it looks like you could change the puddings and the flavors would be endless.

I'd say so.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%