Provocaft Sues Make The Cut.

Decorating By victoria7310 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm by emrldsky

22 replies
dolittle Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 23

Thanks Victoria, I was looking at this if I bought the cake circut. I now know I my not be able to use this. icon_sad.gif

metria Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 23

thanks for posting that. it makes me sad, though. MTC and SCAL are great software. It totally sucks for those great ideas to be squished by ProvoCraft. I'm not disagreeing with some of those accusations, but I do feel for the little guy.

I just bought an Expression and now I'm regretting giving them my money ... I didn't know there were other hardware options around like CraftROBO.

MnSnow Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 23

The more I hear about Provo Crafts business practices, the more I don't like them. I am regretting buying my Expression machine

tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 23

If you already have it there's no way they can keep you from using it.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 23

Definitely the more I learn about ProcoCraft the less I think of them. And my opinion was pretty low after all the ^&*(@ with the development of the Cake machine.

tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 23

Yeah they're right at the bottom of my list.

DALIG Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 23

I think that people was ok with the previous cricut versions but provo crafts started seen big bucks with cake decorators so they came up with all this stuff but like someone said in another post that the problen is mostly for the bakeries but for us, that do this from home and as a hobby is not really an issue is not like provo its going to come to our houses looking specially for a simple design and sue us, but yet we have to be carefull when we post our pictures and try not to be specific if sold or if it was a gift the cake that we made.

I still think its wrong and that may be bakeries can pay the license that they'll sell but for me is not worth it because I started this as a Hobby but now I really want to sell cakes to help my brother with his college and if i already spend like 400 dlls. in the machine to improve my sales but having to pay for a license after they sold the machine to me, that just sucks.

zdebssweetsj Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 23

How low can they go....well it's all about the money right.
Shame on Provo Craft. I bought my Expressions last year because of Linda McClure, Provo Craft needs to do the right thing, acknowledge her contribution to this amazing technique that she obviously developed. I also bought Makes the Cut, can't see the difference in MTC or SCAL., why pick on one?

Bfisher2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 23

I am looking into other options.... I am canceling my pre order... I am not dealing with a company that plays this game.

I have never paid a liscence fee for a cutter in my career and I own ones made by designers (ie stephen benison) and I am not going to start now. When you sell products to they cake decorating community you expect that it will be used by professionals with the exception of trade mark material which anyone with an ounce of common sence would know better.

Thanks provo craft. I will just keep using my own diamond cookie cutter for now...*LOL*

emrldsky Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 23

While I'm not a fan of the company (and will NOT be purchasing any of their products), they DO have a case with MTC.

MTC recently updated their software to include a piece that will essentially "open" the Cricut design studio software, which is essentially illegal.

It's just like when you purchase an eBook and it has DRM (digital rights management) embedded and you want to put it on your Kindle...unless you bought it from Amazon, you have to break DRM, which is illegal. They usually don't nab you for it, unless you're distributing the book (i.e., pirating).

We might not like it, but PC has a case here.

raquel1 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 23

This is so wrong, I really do not want a cricut now. I'll be looking at the other machines, and I already have Linda McClure's dvd. I met her and her husband at a day of sharing in Houston and they are very very nice people.

icingimages Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:50am
post #13 of 23

Remember this is provocrafts first filing. They havent won anything, they are just alleging at this point. I am a little guy out there, however it is important to remember that provocraft was once little. They made it big through their idea.

My guess is that they have to stop advertisign that you can use it with provocrafts products, not stopping developing. But in reality Provocraft can probably last in a lawsuit longer than the other companies.

I dont like the fact that they make you buy each cartridge, I love the software idea, maybe we need to push provocraft to come out with software and do the right thing there. If you are upset, write provocraft or petition them.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:02pm
post #14 of 23

Doesn't seem like PC is very receptive to suggestions and there customer service doesn't appear to be all that good either.

obabassa Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 23

I think everyone who feels this way about Provo Craft should copy and paste their complaints/ thoughts to an email addressed to them. It really doesn't do much good to just put it on cakecentral. How will the company know how cake decorators feel about their business practices if their not voiced to the company.

mycats Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:42am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

MTC recently updated their software to include a piece that will essentially "open" the design studio software, which is essentially illegal.

I am not sure what you mean by "open" the design studio software. What MTC added was the ability to backup the Cricut cartridges that you own. You must have Design Studio AND the cricut cartridge in your machine. You can only backup the cartridges that you physically have access to.

This is very similar to printing a Word document to another format such as PDF. You must have Word and the original document, and then you can print the document to another format such as PDF or text.

It is also similar to backing up a music CD. There are plenty of software packages that allow you to make a backup copy for personal use or in another format to play on your iPod etc. The software to convert this is perfectly legal. It is what you do afterwords with the copy that is the issue. The software in and of itself cannot share the information with others.

ATCakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:58am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by obabassa

I think everyone who feels this way about Provo Craft should copy and paste their complaints/ thoughts to an email addressed to them. It really doesn't do much good to just put it on cakecentral. How will the company know how cake decorators feel about their business practices if their not voiced to the company.

After this week they should know!! They are a greedy bunch of jerks and tried to pull a fast one on us cake decorators. But they didn't know what they were getting into. You stir a bunch of us up and look out we will be on you like a fresh batch of buttercream!!!

Bfisher2 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:48am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by obabassa

After this week they should know!! They are a greedy bunch of jerks and tried to pull a fast one on us cake decorators. But they didn't know what they were getting into. You stir a bunch of us up and look out we will be on you like a fresh batch of buttercream!!!

icon_lol.gif ya.... what she said!!!!

CeeTee Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 6:10am
post #19 of 23

{{Vacancy}} Edit to read more on the issue before commenting on it while half-asleep and hopped up on cold meds tapedshut.gif

emrldsky Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycats

Quote:

MTC recently updated their software to include a piece that will essentially "open" the design studio software, which is essentially illegal.

I am not sure what you mean by "open" the design studio software. What MTC added was the ability to backup the cartridges that you own. You must have Design Studio AND the cartridge in your machine. You can only backup the cartridges that you physically have access to.

This is very similar to printing a Word document to another format such as PDF. You must have Word and the original document, and then you can print the document to another format such as PDF or text.

It is also similar to backing up a music CD. There are plenty of software packages that allow you to make a backup copy for personal use or in another format to play on your iPod etc. The software to convert this is perfectly legal. It is what you do afterwords with the copy that is the issue. The software in and of itself cannot share the information with others.

And in order to create those backups, the MTC software cracks PC's security protection, which is illegal.

TrulyScrumptious852 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #21 of 23

Hi, I'm usually a lurker but just want to let you know that I teach IT so know what I'm doing with computers. When I first saw the postings about the cricut I did loads of research about these machines and finally bought a CRAFTROBO. They have an A4 and A3 size, their instruction book is very easy to follow even for beginners and it is much CHEAPER!

It comes with a free disc that has the driver to install software on your computer to cut any designs that you can find on the internet, no cartridges or extra cost for programs. I've had it for 4 months but only had 1 go on it so haven't go it to work on gumpaste yet.

I pushed the rubber rings to one side. It doesn't have a deep cut blade but I'm experimenting to see how different things work, I think if the gumpaste is rolled thin enough it should be ok. Just some info to let everyone know that there are other options.

mycats Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by "open" the design studio software. What MTC added was the ability to backup the cartridges that you own. You must have Design Studio AND the cartridge in your machine. You can only backup the cartridges that you physically have access to.

And in order to create those backups, the MTC software cracks PC's security protection, which is illegal.

I am not sure on what you mean by cracking the security protection. You are telling the Cricut to "cut" the image. The results are being sent to a cutting file, rather than the machine. This is the same as choosing to print to "Adobe PDF" from a Word document, rather than actually printing to your printer. You are not accessing or performing any actions to the Cricut software other than the "cut" command. You cannot do this without having both the Cricut software and the cartridge, so you are not accessing anything you do not already own.

This is also similar to Roxio, and the all the other software for sale that allows "backup" of CD and DVD's. It is perfectly legal to sell that software.

emrldsky Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure on what you mean by cracking the security protection. You are telling the to "cut" the image. The results are being sent to a cutting file, rather than the machine. This is the same as choosing to print to "Adobe PDF" from a Word document, rather than actually printing to your printer. You are not accessing or performing any actions to the software other than the "cut" command. You cannot do this without having both the software and the cartridge, so you are not accessing anything you do not already own.

This is also similar to Roxio, and the all the other software for sale that allows "backup" of CD and DVD's. It is perfectly legal to sell that software.

I can explain this until I'm blue in the face, but the fact is CDs and DVDs aren't normally protected by security software. The FBI warning is targeted to those who would copy it and pirate it. And there is also the legal ability (I believe) to make digital backups of your own CDs and DVDs, but that does not extend to other digital media (e.g., Cricut cartridges).

In this situation, people were confused as to why MTC was being sued and how PC had a case. That's all I was trying to explain.

And no, I don't use any of the products, and I don't need to to understand the reason behind the lawsuit. I understand technology, DRM, and security protocols enough to understand that MTC provided a service that wasn't within their rights to do.

That's all I'm saying on this subject from here on out. Enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%