Rounded Top Edge On Square Cakes??

Decorating By cakelover613 Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm by summersusu

cakelover613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover613 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hi I'm new here. So I recently had someone ask me to do a wedding cake, and I've been doing strictly birthday cakes for about a year. I agreed, and the cake she wants, I am not sure how to get the effect of the rounded off edges on a square cake. The only tiered cakes I have done are round ones! So I am wondering how I do this..do I need special pans? Here is a photo of what she's looking for. She wants this cake for May 15th. http://www.classy-wedding-ideas.com/image-files/black-and-red-wedding-cake.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Aime

3 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 4

Aime, this cake is covered in fondant which gives it the rounded corners. I have also taken a paring knife and slightly trimmed the square edges off of the top at an angle and done a smooth buttercream to make the same effect. You should make a small square and give it a practice.

There are curved pans you can buy but you can do this effect with out them.

good luck.

dee in az

cakelover613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover613 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that..as I'd rather not have to buy special pans! I'm very excited..but nervous because it's such an important event! Not like doing a birthday cake at all!

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 4

yeah, my square cakes always come out rounded on the edges and with the fondant hopefully it should happen pretty easily....good luck, i have my 1st wedding cake in june.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%