Covering Rice Krispie Treats With Fondant

Decorating By ahmommy Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:49am by Kat300187

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 17

I am making a mickey mouse hat for a cake with rice krispie treats. Do I need to cover the treats with BC before fondant, or not??? I want it to look perfectly smooth of course.

16 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 17

I made a MM hat out of RKT. I covered it with a thin layer of BC before the fondant. I did crush the cereal before making the RKT. The hat was very dense, and probably not actually edible because it was so tightly packed, but it was smooth!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 17

I make up my regular batch of rice kripies and form them in a pan. Once firm enough to handle then I stack and decorate like a normal cake. So a thin layer of buttercream between the "layers" and then ice the outside with buttercream before fondant.

The bottom tier of this cake was done this way (although the filling had chocolate chips in it too)
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1447570

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 17

I only have limited knowledge of working with RKT but I've found if you are working on a small item you can use a thick layer of fondant directly on the RKT. The thick layer evens out the RKT bumps. Also, I have heard that if you crush your RKs before you make the treats the RKTs are smoother.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 17

i never thought about crushing them up. i'll have to try that.

CakemommyTX.... Love your work!

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I make up my regular batch of rice kripies and form them in a pan. Once firm enough to handle then I stack and decorate like a normal cake. So a thin layer of buttercream between the "layers" and then ice the outside with buttercream before fondant.

The bottom tier of this cake was done this way (although the filling had chocolate chips in it too)

Would you mind telling me why you used RKTs for the bottom layer instead of just doing another cake layer? RKTs seem like more work than another cake layer. I'm not being critical, just want to know in case I need to do the same some time.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Would you mind telling me why you used RKTs for the bottom layer instead of just doing another cake layer? RKTs seem like more work than another cake layer. I'm not being critical, just want to know in case I need to do the same some time.

Not critical at all. It's what the customer wanted. So that's what I did. I offer RKT as a "cake" option.

As for more work... I don't think so. No oven time for a cake baking, no cooling time for the cake. I can use one pan and form the treats, pop them out to cool and then fill it up again right away. I would actually much rather make a RKT cake than a cake if I had the option.

tattoodmommy1116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tattoodmommy1116 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 17

I've never attempted to use RKT's ...I'm scared to. I don't know how you would be able to cover figures without having seams and cracks all over it. There must be a trick....I just haven't been able to guess how to do it...Like I have with some of the other stuff.... thumbs_up.gif

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 17

Finished product... It came out a little bumpy, but overall I was happy with and and will definitely do it again.
LL

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmommy

I am making a mickey mouse hat for a cake with rice krispie treats. Do I need to cover the treats with BC before fondant, or not??? I want it to look perfectly smooth of course.

I cover rkt with a couple layers of melted chocolate to get the surface smooth. If you carve them they should get smoother also.

wildflower_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower_girl Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 17

I cover the RKT with a thin layer of fondant then put the thicker layer on top. It makes it nice and smooth.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:13am
post #13 of 17

I always cover mine with a thin layer of bc or candy melts first.

MsChak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsChak Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:37am
post #14 of 17

AHi I have not used RKT when making a cake and I am making a mini Mickey Mouse hat. My problem is I made the ears a few weeks back but didn't put skewers in them. How can I attach them to the hat? I am new to this.. Thank you for your help Michele

MRSmikkelsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRSmikkelsen Posted 16 May 2013 , 4:41am
post #15 of 17

AThat is a great job :)

MsChak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsChak Posted 16 May 2013 , 9:59am
post #16 of 17

ACan I cut into the RKT after putting the fondant on and then put ears in with a little bit of icing?

Kat300187 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kat300187 Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:49am
post #17 of 17

Wow crushing the RKT is a great idea. Working on a Rapunzel tower at the moment and had the same problem. But next time will try it like this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%