Will A Whipping Cream Icing Travel Well?

Decorating By Cathy230 Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm by GI

Cathy230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy230 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order for this weekend for Key Lime Cupcakes that will have to travel 3 hours. The recipe calls for an icing that I have never made....so I have no experience with.
Recipe:
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 c powdered sugar
1/4 c key lime juice
The two icings I typically work with I know will travel well. Anyone have experience with a whipping cream based icing? Will it set up like a buttercream icing? If not any suggestions for an icing that will make the trip? Thanks!

4 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 5

Your recipe is unstable. Try this 4c. heavy cream, 1.5c. powdered sugar, a drop or two of key lime oil. Throw it all in your KA and whip until you get a stiff product. I use this for my Tuxedo Cake and the leftovers will keep in the fridge (ziplock container) for 3 days. Don't know about traveling in a car for 3 hours with the fluctuation in temp and humidity...can you bury the icing in an Igloo and pipe on site?

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 5

minicuppie where do you get your key lime oil?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 5

The dairy in that recipe means that it can only stay outside of refrigeration for a total of four hours. Add up the time to mix, decorate and travel. Once you hit 4 hours, the product has to be thrown out.

I'd put some key lime juice or oil into my regular bc.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

minicuppie where do you get your key lime oil?

LoRann Oil makes keylime oils. You can get it from Walmart or a food service store, or can purchase on-line. It usually runs about 1.99-2.40 for a two-pack 1oz bottles. Just takes a tiny bit in your icing/batter/candy because it is oil-concentrated.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%