Charity Event

Business By YummyChoo Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm by BlakesCakes

YummyChoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyChoo Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 8

Hi
A Charity ball has asked if I can autcion a wedding cake/celebration cake of some sorts for the charity, I would get an A5 advert in their booklet, high profile ball, poss celebs, do you think its worth while doing?

7 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 8

I would say yes. First of all its for charity. Secondly, every charity event Ive donated to I have had tons of orders afterwards. Do something fabulously amazing..lol and word of mouth will spread like wildfire!

YummyChoo Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the advice! If they are going to put it like " bake a cake for your chosen event" eg wedding, 21st , celebration etc.. If someone auctions for it, how do I put a limit on the amount they can order from me eg the size of the cake for their event? etc..

ttehan4 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 8

I would make a gift certificate good for so much. Put an expiration date and that the certificate can not be reproduced. Sign it. Are you going to do a display cake or make a cake that can be eaten at the event?

YummyChoo Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

she said that its a lblack tie event do they wont need any cake icon_sad.gif otherwise that would of been good to get more exposure. I have asked about the display cake.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 8

For the auction, I'd make a little booklet (or small poster?) showing some of my best work (and have the certificate, signed by you, be the last page of the book?)

It is better marketing for you because bidders will be able to view more examples of your work. Bring a stack of business cards to set beside the book, so that people can pick one up to know how to contact you even if they do not win the auction.

ttehan4 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 8

I always took my portfolio and business cards. I have donated cupcake bouquets (gift certificate) and I put a photo of one in a nice frame and sat it out with my book and cards. I nice display of your work would definitely increase bids and business for you if they can see what they would be getting. Best of luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 8

I donate to charities all of the time.

I provide a framed explanation of the certificate that will be won (in a nice looking, but cheap frame) and a decorated dummy that I don't care too much about in case it gets damaged or not returned.

The winner gets a certificate for a certain number of servings, depending on the value of the item requested by the charity. It expires one year from the date of my choosing--I usually make it valid beginning 2 weeks after the event or else people call the next day wanting a cake for a week later--and I'm invariably booked and they get pissed.

I make sure that the explanation and the certificate states my personal policy to not make any cake with special dietary requirements and that a request for such will void the certificate. I also number the certificates, so once a number is used, no duplicates will be honored.

I find that this works very well. I have been able to retrieve my frame and my dummies with very few problems. Right now, I have about a 50% redemption rate.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%