Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix

Decorating By Roxybc Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 3:41am by SugaryDelights

mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:27am
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermom3107

This is really making me want red velvet right now!!

Ditto. I love red velvet cake balls dipped in white chocolate. Yummy.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #32 of 58

Cakeman Raven's cake is so delicious. I've tried it before and was very pleased with the results--even the frosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Chasey, Here is the recipe

Cakeman Raven "Southern Red Velvet Cake"

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, at room tempature
2 large eggs, at room tempature
2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour 3 cake pans (9 X1 1/2). In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whick together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
Using a stand mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.
Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotaing the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out, clean about 30 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knoife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. One at a time, onvert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand held electric micer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the canilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy.

alvarezmom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:13pm
post #33 of 58

3LittleBeesCookies-I've never tried this recipe. I was just able to find it for the OP.

This is not a dumb question but I do feel silly asking. What does Red Velvet Cake supposed to taste like. I dont think I have ever had one that was an OMG I need to have that! Any one, any one??? I know what to look for in a cake and I like mine moist, but as far as flavor you got me!!!

Chasey Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #34 of 58

Thanks, Blakescakes, I've added yours to my growing list of must try RV recipes!

Alvarezmom, I would describe the taste as somewhere in between a yellow cake with just a very subtle hint of chocolate. I've never had one that bowled me over with a distinctive YUM! icon_lol.gif I think the moistness is crucial to this cake and I've tasted more dry ones baked by others. Yuck! The cream cheese icing and sometimes just a hint of "twang" in the cake makes it work for me. icon_biggrin.gif

RubiPumps Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #35 of 58

I am one who's not fond of the box RV cake. I do, however, LOVE Cakeman Raven's. His is pretty dense and heavy though. If you're looking for something light and fluffy the recipe for SCRATCH RV on bakerella's site is excellent. I've made hers into cake balls too.

alvarezmom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #36 of 58

I have a close cousin who LOVES RVC. I have been telling him I would make him some cupcakes but I'm scared of making a nasty recipe.

I read on another thread long ago to always add buttermilk to RV recipes and it would taste better.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I have a close cousin who LOVES RVC. I have been telling him I would make him some cupcakes but I'm scared of making a nasty recipe.

I read on another thread long ago to always add buttermilk to RV recipes and it would taste better.

LOL! I am sure that they won't be nasty! I've tried many scratch RVC recipes and all have called for buttermilk.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #38 of 58

I figured it may work, since my chocolate cherry cola cake is such a hit with my customers. And ta ~ da! Its great!! Let me know how ya like it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Win Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:32pm
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

It's nothing like the real thing icon_smile.gif

Amen! Red Velvet and German Chocolate are two cakes I refuse to make from a box --and I'm no box cake mix snob! It's just that I grew up with both of them and boxed mixes simply cannot come close to duplicating the layers of flavor one detects when made from scratch.

FlourPots Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #40 of 58

Here's a thread you all may be interested in: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6630610.html#6630610

ChefAngie Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #41 of 58

I use Duncan Hines all the time and have no problems.Mix according to the devils food pound cake on the side of the box.
I sift all dry ingredients together over wet ingredients (eggs and oil) in the bowl
MIX FOR 2 MINUTES ON THE LOWEST SPEED OF KA.REMEMBER THIS- NO MATTER HOW MANY MIXES ARE IN THE BOWL.
hAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING,
CHEF ANGIE

forthwife Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:56am
post #42 of 58

Red velvet turns me off due to it coloring the teeth of those that eat it. I also dislike black fondant (although beautiful) for the same reason.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #43 of 58

Yeah, I've tried several RV's and I guess I'm just not a fan. I've made a few and even used a doctored version of DH's mix but I just don't get it I guess. The best part is the cream cheese frosting and I can put that on just about any cake and it's fab. The red is pretty when you cut into it but that's where it ends for me, I like a cake that makes me go "YUM!" and with RV it just isn't there. I am curious about using Dr Pepper though. I bought some Dr Pepper ice cream sundae syrup at Walmart not too long ago and I've been trying to think of how to incorporate it into a cake, they might be onto something!

tron Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #44 of 58

I have made both box and scratch and I must say the scrath does taste better. It's true about the moisture though....can be very dry if not enough liquid. The box - Duncan Hines - always comes out moist for me. The taste has a hint of chocolate behind it.

infinitsky Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #45 of 58

I found this recipe on the web site stated below. The pictures and descriptions are so yummy. I copied and pasted a picture from the site.
If any one tries it, please let me know about the results.

Lincolns Red Velvet (Cheesecake) Cake

http://www.erinsfoodfiles.com/2010/04/lincolns-red-velvet-cheesecake-cake.html

From the site: "Oh yeah! Red Velvet Cake, with Cream Cheese Frosting AND A LAYER OF CHEESECAKE IN THE MIDDLE!"
LL

Kimmers971 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #46 of 58

I use it - I also add a box of chocolate pudding and instead of water I used half & half. Comes out great - never dry.

forthwife Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 4:20pm
post #47 of 58

Holy cow!?!?!?! I retract any bad thoughts/feelings I ever had aboud red velvet cake based upon that photo. WOW! Cheesecake in the center?! That is sexy. Thanks for posting it!

alvarezmom Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #48 of 58

infinitsky-thanks for posting that recipe! It looks so yummy!!!

Lacicakes Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #49 of 58

Wow that is just what I was thinking of doing! I was thinking about using a rv WASC with the refrigerated philadelphia cheesecake filling instead of the sour cream and then try to fill it with the cheesecake filling...I just need to figure out what I want to do for a frosting? I had read here on CC where someone just used Lorann's cheesecake flavoring in a buttercream. I wonder what that would taste like? I also wondered if I added the cheesecake filling to a crusting buttercream if it would still crust?

Omicake Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #50 of 58

Wondering which has more chocolate flavor of all the Red Velvet posted.

Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I used the DH red velvet and made it like a pound cake-4 eggs, extra oil, white chocolate pudding, and it was delish.

I do this only with chocolate pudding instead of white, and its really good, and I don't like red velvet.

lecrn Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #52 of 58

RVC is really popular in the South. I really think is has to do with the color of the cake and the cream cheese frosting. People think they're having something really special.
I've tried a lot of RVC recipes & haven't really been totally satisfied with any of them.
Sarah's-I didn't care for @ all. It turned out dry & not sweet enough.
Paula Deen's-horrible IMO
Cake Mix Doctor-uses choc. cake mix as the base. It was really moist with a lot of choc flavor, but I think RVC needs buttermilk. The color of the cake was a little muddy.

Macsmom's-this is the one I currently use. It gets great reviews. It uses 1 white mix, one dk choc mix, choc pudding, sour cream, etc. It's really moist, but I still miss the buttermilk. Next time I make it, I'll probably add a little in place of the vanilla coffee creamer to try it out.

TRISHADEEEE Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #53 of 58

Omg! Im so excited im going to try the dr pepper and pudding pack too.

Normita Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:06pm
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I used the DH red velvet and made it like a pound cake-4 eggs, extra oil, white chocolate pudding, and it was delish.

I do this only with chocolate pudding instead of white, and its really good, and I don't like red velvet.

Do you guys just add those ingredients and don't Wasc it ( extra flour, sugar, sour cream)? And do you add any water or buttermilk to it?

vww104 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #55 of 58

I use the DH RV cake mix all the time with rave reviews, all I do is sub the water for whole milk and add 2 tsp of vanilla. I also use homemade CC icing which is just 8oz cream cheese, 1 stick of butter, 1 lb of powdered sugar and 2 tsp of vanilla. The key to RV is not to overbake it, once it's dry its ruined.

Personally, RV is not my favorite but people love it.

cai0311 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:24pm
post #56 of 58

I use the WASC recipe minus the "A".

Ducin Hines Red Velvet Mix
White Chocolate Pudding
4 eggs
Sour cream, flour, sugar, oil (as called for in WASC recipe)

I love red velvet cake, especially with cream cheese frosting.

2 weeks ago I had a consultation with a bride and one of the flavors I put out was red velvet. She had never had red velvet cake before. After tasting it she said "I always wondered why people loved red velvet cake and now I know. The is amazing".
She booked with me and one of the tiers is red velvet.

gscout73 Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 2:40am
post #57 of 58

Since DH changed and went to cheap ingredients and/or changed the recipe I cannot stand the taste of their mixes. They would have to be seriously doctored. They're tasteless and dry.

SugaryDelights Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:41am
post #58 of 58

Duncan hines Red Velvet cake mix is delicious!! I prefer it over Sprinkles cupcakes recipe!!..Duncan hines Red velvet never comes out dry or hard, if it does that has to do with the baker((not the cake mix)). ...Now whats this about adding Dr. Pepper to the mix??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%