Cricut Users ... Scal Or Mtc? Which Do You Prefer?

Decorating By JaimeAnn Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 4:26am by JaimeAnn

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:26am
post #1 of 14

Well I was so excited! Earlier today My Mom called me and said I just ordered something for you but I don't think it will be here till after May 7th. So I was thinking oh she got me the cupcake book I had been looking for.

NOOOOOO!!!!! She ordered the Cricut Cake for me on HSN!

I love my Mommy! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways I just saw the thread about licensing and SCAL & MTC.

So which is better I plan on purchasing one of the programs instead of buying cartridges.

13 replies
sgraff Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 14

I have MTC and I like it. I can't compare the 2 though.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 14

I have SCAL and am NOT a fan.

cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 14

Where can one aquire either of these programs? Is there anyone on here who has MTC experience. I have heard positives & negatives to SCAL.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 14

Did a Google search not produce any info?

tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 14

Make the cut seems more user friendly. You can get it here (did a google search) http://www.scrappydew.com/make-the-cut/ Sometimes you just need to put a little effort into looking for things yourself instead of depending on others to do it for you. icon_smile.gif

kse Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing!

CakeMommyTX Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 14

I have MTC, after downloading and using both demos I just like MTC better.
I did just hear that SCAL'a new version makes svgs so that's nice but I thought MTC was more used friendly.

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 14

I just read a link from another thread here on CC that Provocraft is suing MTC...

JaimeAnn Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Make the cut seems more user friendly. You can get it here (did a google search) http://www.scrappydew.com/make-the-cut/ Sometimes you just need to put a little effort into looking for things yourself instead of depending on others to do it for you. icon_smile.gif

I know where to get both programs , I was just wondering if there were some people in the Cake world that had used them and if there were pros or cons to one or the other.

I am an excelent Googler! icon_biggrin.gif

I try to share my knowledge with my CC friends and was hoping someone that had used the programs could give an opinion.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Ren715 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 14

I use MTC and like it, although I've seen some new features that I like in SCAL2. For right now though, I enjoy using MTC.

The reason MTC is being sued is that they are showing people how to take a .cut file (that's the extension from Design Studio/Cricut cartridges), copy it to an imaging program (photoshop, paint, etc.), and then import it into MTC. It's one thing taking an image off of your computer or the Internet to use on your Cricut but they are showing how to take images off of Cricut cartridges that you do not own. I think they invited this lawsuit and should take the "how to" off their site (maybe they have already).

MTC is easy to use and I think you would be happy with it. Both MTC and SCAL2 offer trial versions so you can "test drive" both and see which one is easiest for you.

As a side note: There are advantages to owning cartridges that you cannot get from using MTC and SCAL2. I enjoy both worlds and continue to buy cartridges, because like I said before, they have many advantages/options.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:

I know where to get both programs , I was just wondering if there were some people in the Cake world that had used them and if there were pros or cons to one or the other.

I am an excelent Googler! icon_biggrin.gif

I try to share my knowledge with my CC friends and was hoping someone that had used the programs could give an opinion.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

If you read the replies someone did ask where to find them. And I did share that I thought MTC was more user friendly.

jojo0676 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 14

I have MTC and love it. I too hope to buy more cartridges in the future though because there are a lot of things you can do with them, and if nothing else, all the design work is done for me icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:26am
post #14 of 14

[quote="tiggy2"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Quote:

If you read the replies someone did ask where to find them. And I did share that I thought MTC was more user friendly.

Quote:
Quote:

Sometimes you just need to put a little effort into looking for things yourself instead of depending on others to do it for you.

I guess I took that part the wrong way..

I see that MTC is on sale right now for $59 so even if I dont like it I am sure I can get that much use out of it, considering a single cartridge is around that price.

I do a lot of machine embroidery and have spent a fortune on cartridges and finaly got the transfer program and it saved me a buch. I figure if I get the transfer program for the cricut in the begining I shouldnt have to buy so many cartridges. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%