Moulds And Veiners For Hydrangea's

Decorating By Alenya Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm by Rylan

Alenya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alenya Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:25am
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone

I'm new to CakeCentral, just signed up tonight actually after about two hours of looking over the site and reading some great tips.

However I didn't find what I had gone Googling for in the first place. I figured I would sign up and ask here as lots of you have a good deal of experience under your bakers caps. icon_lol.gif

So here's the situation. Two of my dearest friends is getting married soon here and they've asked me to make there wedding cake(s). I was more then happy to say yes and excited to have this chance.

I designed the cake and got her request and got so ahead of myself that I forgot a few key things at the time.

Those are:

I've never made a wedding cake, never done a tiered cake. Never touched Fondant or Gum Paste and having the faintest clue of to make Hydrangea's.

Now her flowers are blue Hydrangea's and the cake I've been planning is a two tier vanilla with white fondant and gum paste Hydrangea's with pastel green chocolate butterflies.

But on top of that I'm making 400+ cupcakes, half chocolate and half peanut butter. Each to be decorated to match her main cake.

I really want all of this to make her go icon_eek.gif

Now what I've been looking for is a Veiner for Hydrangea's. I've found a few but they all make larger flowers then I'm looking for. I would like the flowers to be no larger then 1 inch, smaller is possible.

Here's what I've found so far.:

FMM - Multi Flower Veiner
Hydrangea Floramat Set by First Impression Molds ((Not sure if this one does the front and back of the flower.))
Hydrangea Blossom Set (SV-020) by Sunflower Sugar Art ((This one looks great but is bigger then what I want.))
Scott Clark Wholly Cutter, Veiner and center set.
Hydrangea Cutter Set of 4 by JEM Cutters

All of these look great. If anyone here has one of these I'd love if you could post me a picture of a finished flower so I might be able to see it. And maybe the size of a finished flower as well. I'm not yet sure on the size of the flowers in her bouquet but for the cake I'd really like something dainty and small.

And does anyone have any suggestions for a good bulk order Gum Paste. I'm pretty sure I'll need a lot for all these flowers.
Also I'm looking for something I can lightly brush on the flowers in either light blue or white to make them kind of sparkle.

Sorry for so many questions in one post, but I think that's all of them... for now. XD I know there will be more, there always is.

9 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 10

If you look in my photos. On the pink and black cake, those flowers are made using Scotts cutters, veiners, and center.

Gumpaste is rolled very thin, nearly paper thin so a little goes a long way. My favorite gumpaste is to take the wilton fondant and add tylose to it. I do about a tablespoon to a 24 oz package. That is probably all you will need. But if you use this, its easy to come by once you have the tylose on hand. The fondant you can buy right in walmarts. Wilton also makes a fairly decent premade gumpaste that is readily available. Just make sure to squeeze the package first to be sure it is somewhat soft.

To make the flowers sparkle you need to use a pearl dust there are many on the market, my favorite is made by crystal colors, and can be found right at global sugarart.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 10
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 10

I love the one from Scott Clark Wooley. I have a friend who used it on her wonderful blog:

http://petalsweet.blogspot.com/search?q=tutorial

Alenya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alenya Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:30am
post #5 of 10

Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions and help.

To Peg818:

I didn't find the picture with the cake but I did find this one. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1253758.html The flowers are beautiful, very realistic and I love them.

The colors a very pretty too.

Thank you for the other info too. For the gum paste I'm looking for a larger amount then the Pre-made Wilton bag. I will look into the Fondant and Tylose. I'll have to see if I can find Tylose in town here or order it online.

The Pearl Dust is sold at the Micheals in town so I'll buy some of that for sure. Just have to decide on the colors. The flowers will be blue so I'll likely use blue, white or silver.

To TexasSugar:

These are also wonderful. They came out very pretty and real. Love the color too. icon_lol.gif

To Rylan:

This is a wonderful blog. It really helped me decide one what to order. These flowers and leaves look so real. I will be ordering the Scott Clark Woolly cutters, veiners and center for sure. I'll be bookmarking that blog too.

Now I just have to find some of those wonderful powders that she's using to brush color onto the flowers and leaves. There aren't sold in town here.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:47am
post #6 of 10

If you want some great dusting colors I have used ECG. They have some gorgeous and unique colors. You can also check out sunflower sugar art. Here is there link. They have some great colors as well. http://shop.sunflowersugarartusa.com/category.sc;jsessionid=75EA299EEA0586EE3F5A45F8492A7A53.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=15

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:59am
post #7 of 10

I like the Satin Ice gumpaste. I got my last 5 lb. tub from Global Sugar Art for less than $20.

Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:59am
post #8 of 10

Alenya, I found the dusts that she used at Jennifer Dontz's website. Most online decorating stores have them such as Global Sugar Art. Good luck!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:17am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I love the one from Scott Clark Wooley. I have a friend who used it on her wonderful blog:

http://petalsweet.blogspot.com/search?q=tutorial

I just looovvvee her work... her flower sprays are amazing!

BTW... why are we still up? hehehe

Rylan Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 10

Dalis, oh yes, her work is AMAZING.

I usually sleep at 6AM...that is why, hehehe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%