Certification???

Business By ericaspastries Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 3:30am by Annabakescakes

ericaspastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaspastries Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #1 of 25

I am new to cake decorating and would like to have my own business. I recently gave my info to an upcoming bride and she got back to me saying the venue where her wedding/reception is being held will not let any baker bring in anything unless they are certified. My question is what do they mean by certification? Is is LLC or do they want some proof of training or what?
Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

24 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 25

More than likely they mean "licensed".

Some states are very strict about baked goods being provided by licensed bakeries. A natural follow thru on that is that venues become responsible for certifying that baked goods provided by outside vendors come only from licensed vendors.

In some cases, that means that the baker must show a valid state license before the venue will allow the cake to be served.

Rae

littlesweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesweetpea Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 25

It could also mean certified as a food establishment manager(Servsafe). Occassionaly I will have a restaurant want my bakery license & my food certification. With the increasing health issues, many places are getting stricter for their own safety.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 25

What you need to do is check first with your local Health or Agriculture Department. Most States do not allow you to prepare food for sale to the public from your home kitchen. More than likely you will need to rent a commercial kitchen, there again if your state allows shared kitchens, get your food permit license, your Food Managers food safety certification, insurance, and if your HD (Health Dept.) doesn't allow shared kitchens then you will need to either build your own or rent a storefront to be made into a commercial kitchen. What state are you in. This will help us know more about how to help you.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #5 of 25

I work as an events manager and when we have food vendors, we require food service license by the state of Ohio and insurance certificate stating that our site is the additional insured. It's probably the norm for most formal event sites.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaspastries

My question is what do they mean by certification? Is is LLC or do they want some proof of training or what?

How can you not know that they require proof of licensing for a legal kitchen?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

Quote:

My question is what do they mean by certification? Is is LLC or do they want some proof of training or what?

kinda harsh

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

People new at cake decorating may actually not know, which is why there are forums like CC.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 25

Well?!??

If a venue demands that anyone providing cake (a FOOD item) has to be certified what else could it possibly be?

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 25

Whenever I deliver a cake (or any other food item) I take copies of the following with me: 1) my company's insurance; 2) my state issued food-handler's card; 3) my operating certificate issued by the town's health department. I take all of these with me even if I faxed or emailed my information prior to the event - I've always been a 'belt and suspenders kinda person!'

Most likely they are looking for your insurance as this is what most venues tell us this is what they want (some even want a COI (Certificate of Insurance) made out with the venue's name and event date specified - luckily my insurance comany usually issues this in a few hours).

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 25

Gee, I had a university once ask about licensing. What they wanted was at least a ServSafe certification.
ServSafe, insurance, business license, food service license= THAT'S why the OP isn't sure.
Why so snippy about it? What may seem obvious to you isn't to others and it seems to me, from the responses, that it could mean several things so perhaps it's not so obvious after all.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #12 of 25

How is that harsh?
It was a question, it wasn't rude, just straight forward , there's a difference.

Not to mention it's the kind of stuff you need to find out before you casually give your info to someone.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm
post #13 of 25

It was harsh, snippy or however you want to word it. "How can you not know" is not start of a polite, straight forward question IMHO. There are better ways to reword that. This OP did not know, so she asked on a forum that is set up for that purpose. Like other posters have stated, each state, venue, etc. is different. It can be confusing, so why confuse it even more by not being really helpful?

Erica - what state are you in? What type of site is it, a university, conference hall, etc? With this info, maybe someone in that state can help you out.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 25

I agree that it was a rude comment. Just because you may think its a "common sense" question, just remember that not everybody knows everything about cake decorating or the business aspect of cake decorating, otherwise we probably wouldn't have this site.

My suggestion is that you contact the location that wants your certification and ask what exactly they are looking for or have the bride ask for you. This way you know exactly and you/we aren't just guessing as to what the venue wants because as you can see from the above posts a "certification" could be a couple of different things and I would hate for you to run around getting something you/we think is what you need only to find out it was something else.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:20pm
post #15 of 25

Oh what is it with some people on here? If people are irritated or annoyed with someone posting what they deem a 'stupid question' ( I don't believe there is such a thing - if you don't know something, whatever it is then you should ask) then why don't they just ignore it and go to another post instead of posting a snippy or rude remark which is no help whatsoever to the op. Nobody is compelled to answer posts so why post something so unhelpful. To the op sorry, I have no idea as I am a hobby baker and from the UK so I know nothing about your licensing laws, or ours come to think of if.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 25

Ericaspastries - please post away with any question you may have! Most of us are quite happy to try to address your questions just as we like having our questions responded to. Welcome to CakeCentral! icon_smile.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:

Well?!??

If a venue demands that anyone providing cake (a FOOD item) has to be certified what else could it possibly be?

There can actually be several meanings to that.

And, if you don't have anything nice to say... thumbs_up.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #18 of 25

I have had venues ask for copies of my insurance and others not so some may not know what is needed and it may be different each time.
Those that give the nasty answers must know ALL Answers to EVERYTHING and don't know why everyone else doesn't. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
evelyn

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #19 of 25

Don't worry about the snide remarks, most members are quite nice and very happy to help. Welcome to Cake Central.

ericaspastries Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #20 of 25

I am in Michigan and I have found out that you can't bake from home here you have to get a commercial kitchen. Thanks to all of you for your kind advice and suggestions. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #21 of 25

If you come into a Cake Decorating "Business" forum and ask that kind of question people assume you're conducting "a cake business". And if you're going to be in business you need to find out this information before accepting orders. JMO

ericaspastries Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #22 of 25

Didn't accept the order and I did say that I was new to the whole aspect of cake decorating and that I would like to have my own business...just fishing for info but thank you! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #23 of 25

erica - don't worry about it. If you don't ask questions, you can't find answers. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:26am
post #24 of 25
Quote:

I am in Michigan and I have found out that you can't bake from home here you have to get a commercial kitchen. Thanks to all of you for your kind advice and suggestions. icon_smile.gif

Hey Erica, I think people in Mich can do cakes out of their homes now, I have seen it many times that you are able, it is worth looking into if you are still interested.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #25 of 25
Quote:

Hey Erica, I think people in Mich can do cakes out of their homes now, I have seen it many times that you are able, it is worth looking into if you are still interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%