My Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By misterc Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm by Elcee

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 20

Can you take a look at my cake and give me pointers? I love fondant but I am determined to get better with BC. This is the first BC cake I've made in a long time, I need more practice.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1643769

19 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 20

I think your cake looks great!

misterc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 20

Thank you. I'm glad you like it, the darn thing took me forever. Fondant is so much easier for me to work with but I really am trying to master BC.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 20

I think it looks wonderful -- nice and smooth, no middle bulge, etc. I'm so glad you provided a description under the photo. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why that topper was on there!

misterc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:54am
post #5 of 20

JGMB- I know what you mean, it would be very confusing with out a little information and thanks!

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 20

Your buttercream is really smooth and looks great

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 20

I think it looks great. The buttercream looks very smooth-that's always my nemesis. What a cute idea for a kg class, and you are a wonderful parent to make this for them.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 20

Very cute cake but I know what you mean by the pock marks - I'm interested to see some solutions to this because I get that too. Do you use a bench scraper for the sides? I find that really helps with the 90 degree angle. Hope someone else gives some advice on the marks!

misterc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Very cute cake but I know what you mean by the pock marks - I'm interested to see some solutions to this because I get that too. Do you use a bench scraper for the sides? I find that really helps with the 90 degree angle. Hope someone else gives some advice on the marks!

Thanks! The pock marks are exactly what I am talking about. The bench scraper helps but not enough as you can see.

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 20

Have you tried viva or melvira method? Or maybe heating your scraper under hot water before using it?

Other than that the only thing that makes any sense is to sift the PS and add it slower to the mix.

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 20

The pock marks are from air bubbles in your BC. When you make your BC you need to make enough to where it comes above the attachment on your mixer. That will keep the air bubbles from being trapped in the BC.

pacable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pacable Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 20

I have finally started using the Viva method after fighting and fighting to get my BC smooth and it has worked wonders for me. Your cake looks beautiful!!

misterc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks guys for your input. I have a professional cusinart- the bowl is HUGE! It will be way more frosting then I need but I'll have to try filling it all the way to decrease the air. I have used the Viva method and did on this cake. Thanks again for the tips!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

I have a professional cusinart- the bowl is HUGE! It will be way more frosting then I need but I'll have to try filling it all the way to decrease the air.

Instead of making that much frosting, what I do is use a rubber scraper to cut through the frosting several times after it's made. That pops a lot of the bubbles. Then, as I take each dollop out of the bowl to put on the cake, I smoosh it against the side of the bowl to make sure that all of the bubbles are out. It works!

misterc Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

I have a professional cusinart- the bowl is HUGE! It will be way more frosting then I need but I'll have to try filling it all the way to decrease the air.

Instead of making that much frosting, what I do is use a rubber scraper to cut through the frosting several times after it's made. That pops a lot of the bubbles. Then, as I take each dollop out of the bowl to put on the cake, I smoosh it against the side of the bowl to make sure that all of the bubbles are out. It works!

Thanks- I'll try that first.

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 20

you can also use a fondant smoother over your viva paper towel instead of your hand.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 20

Your cake looks great.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:34am
post #18 of 20

Looks about as good as you can get using powdered sugar "buttercream".

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:04am
post #19 of 20

Adorable cake!

I think your bc looks good, but if you are going for butter-cream perfection...

If you use Sugarshack's method of icing a cake you will be delighted to find that your cake will be as smooooooth as glass. Really thumbs_up.gif !

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersusu

you can also use a fondant smoother over your viva paper towel instead of your hand.

I just tried this recently and it helped me alot! I have always struggled with my buttercream and was beginning to think the Viva method was a myth until I tried it with the fondant smoother.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%