Frustrated With Coordinator... Any Advice? (Long Vent)

Business By cakeschmake Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm by Rose_N_Crantz

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:06am
post #31 of 33

Maybe I take it too far, but I don't allow real flowers on my cakes unless they are edible. It's too risky because of pesticides and the fact that some flowers are poisonous when eaten. I just don't want to take the chance. If they want real flowers around the base of the cake, fine, but not touching the cake. I even have it in my contract that no real flowers will be put on the cake. That is one of the clauses I make my customers initial, signifying that I've specifically gone over that clause with them. (Another is my refund policy!) If they do it after I leave the cake, at least I've protected myself.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:43pm
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

.. the room was decorated with mostly lilies

You mean CALLA lillies?? icon_eek.gif That toxic flower that shouldn't be placed on cakes?

It's almost funny (if it wasn't such a serious issue) that the coordinator makes this really big deal about flowers that shouldn't be on the cake to start with! icon_lol.gif

No definitly not calla lilies!!! It was a white "stargazer" type lily, I don't know if it has a specific name or not icon_redface.gif The contract originally said dogwoods or magnolias and it was going to have a branch of flowers going up the side. I just didn't see dogwood or magnolias in the centerpieces. This is the #1 florist in our area, I would hope they'd know what is appropriate for a wedding cake.
I offered several times to do sugar flowers but she wasn't interested.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:40pm
post #33 of 33

My wedding cake had calla lilies on it. I didn't know that they couldn't be on there and I just asked the florist to put some flowers on there because I couldn't find a cake topper that I liked. I assumed she would know which ones could go on a cake and which ones couldn't. I know, I know. . .

But no one got sick. Not that I know of anyways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%