Awkward!

Lounge By valora387 Updated 24 May 2010 , 11:50pm by JulieMN

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 22

I am making a bridal shower cake for this Sunday. Normally, this would not be awkward, but I was supposed to be a bridesmaid in the wedding, and because of financial reasons, had to bow out. The bride was NOT happy about it, and hasn't spoken to me since. I kind of don't want to go out of my way for her since she was so nasty about things, but I also want to show her that I can be the bigger person and "wow" everyone at the shower. Not really a question here, just needed to vent a little bit.

21 replies
cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #2 of 22

I'd make the cake and show her that you are the bigger person. You never know, making a cake for her just might be what it takes to get her talking to you again. icon_smile.gif You decide on how your heart feels.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 22

Did you tell her you had to bow out because of financial reasons. I would think most people would not harbor bad feelings because of that, maybe she's just hurt, thinking you just really don't want to be there. I'd make the cake and have a one on one with her.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 22

If you want to make the cake to show that you are the bigger person, then go ahead.

I have to wonder, though...if she was really your friend, wouldn't she have been understanding about you having to back out for financial reasons rather than being nasty about it?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I have to wonder, though...if she was really your friend, wouldn't she have been understanding about you having to back out for financial reasons rather than being nasty about it?

I kind of have this thought myself. Only you know your friendship, but I would hope a true friend would realise that not everyone can afford all the hoopla that goes with her wedding. Yes she (or her parents) are spending some big bucks on the wedding, but the wedding party has to shell out some money too.

My SIL was very understanding for her wedding. I was asked to do the cake and be a Brides Maid. I told her she could have one or the other. She chose the cake. They paid for the ingredients and I did the work for free.

My best friend has already told me she doesn't expect me to do the cake because she wants me to be a part of her wedding party and enjoy the day and not have to be stressed out days before hand trying to do both. Of course hers is one cake I'd love to make.

If you miss and vaule the relationship, why not invite her out to lunch or coffee and just talk to her. Explain to her how important the friendship is to you, how you are sorry you had to hurt her by not being a part of the wedding party and how you miss her.

Her reaction to it could have been from hurt feelings and stress of everything that is going on, and maybe she doesn't know how to make things right either?

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 22

I think a lot of women lose their common sense once they get engaged. For some it just bring sout the worst in an already selfish personality.

I vote for wowing everyone at the party. But that's just "show off" me. LOL

valora387 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 22

I am going to do the cake just to show off. I did explain the whole situation to her (she wanted my husband and me and our three kids in the wedding, my husband and I opted out). She still finds it impossible to be gracious. I tried having a one on one, and she still can't be nice. So, I'll make a fabulous cake and that will be her gift from us. If that's not good enough, OH WELL. Not my problem. icon_evil.gificon_rolleyes.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 22

Don't forget to post pictures of the cake! Hopefully, your gorgeous cake will melt her heart. =o)

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 22

Yes. Don't forget to post pictures!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

I think a lot of women lose their common sense once they get engaged. For some it just bring sout the worst in an already selfish personality.

I vote for wowing everyone at the party. But that's just "show off" me. LOL

That is just what I was thinking.....I would really want to do the cake just to show off....lol

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:53am
post #11 of 22

With an attitude like hers the most she'd get out of me would be a cake from walmart - how rude of her, I'd be on the look out for a new friend, I certainly wouldn't be spending what little time and talent I have on such a selfish person.
Why are people so me me me all the time icon_evil.gif

valora387 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 22

No pics yet... I'm having trouble uploading. But, I did make the cake and... it wasn't even acknowledged. Or sliced. Someone else made cupcakes and that's what was served for dessert. All that work and money for NOTHING. Oh, well, it was a beautiful cake (I thought, lol), I got to do draping with fondant, which I've never done before, and I learned a lesson. So, not for nothing, but not the response I was expecting either. I guess you can't win them all.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 22

I hope you took your beautiful cake with you when you left!

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #14 of 22

That is just LOW DOWN icon_mad.gif ! Realy how freaking petty can you ge? I am sure your cake was beautiful and I hope you dont let her crapy attitude get to you! Please let us know when the pics are up

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:48am
post #15 of 22

I am so sorry all the way around. I cant wait to see pics, and you can bet you will get your "WOW" moment on here!! Just so you know, you are the bigger person for making the cake, and it sounds like you really don't need friends like that. Get those pics posted !!! thumbs_up.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #16 of 22

So sorry to hear that witch did that to you. And how come the cake was not served? did she say something to the hostess? Big hugs and I can't wait to see your creation.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #17 of 22

Oh my goodness, I can't believe cupcakes were served and eaten instead! Did you say a guest brought those, assuming they didn't know you were providing a cake? I thought it was fairly standard for the host of the shower to have a cake already there!

I'm sorry it has worked out this way. How awkward indeed. icon_sad.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #18 of 22

Rude! Rude! Rude! I so can't wait for karma to catch up with her - I hope her hubby to be says no I don't coz your actually not a very nice person instead of I do - there is no excuse for her behviour x

tazmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tazmycat Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 22

Please don't call her a witch - you're giving witches a bad name....LOL

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 22

I bet the other guests thought it was strange also! Sounds like she is taking Bridezilla all the way! Can"t wait to see pics!

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #21 of 22

Maybe everybody thought it was just too pretty to cut. Since there was other dessert available they didn't need to "mess up" your pretty cake.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 May 2010 , 11:50pm
post #22 of 22

Looking forward to seeing your work. Sorry that it turned out as it did, but think you did the right thing by making her the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%